Starting out with Common Lisp to "learn how to think" programmatically before C/ASM?
I'm currently a student at a community college, have been taking general education credit classes up to this point but starting in 10 days time I will be starting a course called "PC Hardware and Software (A+)" which also earns me the CompTIA A+ cert in addition to school credit.

My intention is to continue on to a 4-year degree in Computer Science, and (hopefully) become a Malware Analyst in the future. So, my question is, in the meantime while I'm taking these related Computer Science classes like the PC Hardware one, and Networking/etc in the Fall, if I'm going to learn a programming language in my spare time would it be worth it to start out with Common Lisp or one of the other Functional Languages such as Clojure/Haskell/Scheme? Or should I just start out with C or Assembly? And if it's a better idea to start out with C + Assembly right away, would it be better to begin straight away with Assembly language by reading "Programming from the Ground Up" alongside perhaps practice on DOSBox with some older assembly code books or just go for C and learn some Assembly as needed through "Hacking: The Art of Exploitation"?
I'd suggest you to start with C, explore through all the low level stuffs and then learn Assembly. Most malware is compiled to low level language and when using disassemblers, you'll be dealing with lots of assembly code and it is imperative that a would-be Malware Analyst, also learn how to read and write Assembly code. I'll be writing a guide soon about starting out with malware analysis. I'll link you up when it's ready.
(05-22-2016, 04:12 AM)Starfall Wrote: I'd suggest you to start with C, explore through all the low level stuffs and then learn Assembly. Most malware is compiled to low level language and when using disassemblers, you'll be dealing with lots of assembly code and it is imperative that a would-be Malware Analyst, also learn how to read and write Assembly code. I'll be writing a guide soon about starting out with malware analysis. I'll link you up when it's ready.

Sounds great :-) Thanks, Starfall.

I'm guessing the K&R book is still the best bet for learning C these days? Or maybe CS50x on edx.org..?
(05-22-2016, 07:37 PM)hworth Wrote: Sounds great :-) Thanks, Starfall.

I'm guessing the K&R book is still the best bet for learning C these days? Or maybe CS50x on edx.org..?

Yep. I still have K&R in my book shelf and read it over every now and then. It's well written and pretty intense.

http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

EDIT: https://greysec.net/showthread.php?tid=1113 Turned out pretty bad but what the heck, that's it for tonight from me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New project started to be available today, check it out aurorava69 0 533 05-10-2022, 12:25 AM
Last Post: aurorava69
  What are some good beginner projects to learn C++? 4lek5 1 1,176 04-21-2022, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Windows x86 ASM: How to call DLL functions? ueax 3 21,518 01-01-2022, 09:48 AM
Last Post: _BNM57_
  ASM Learning Resources Insider 2 15,818 07-14-2021, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Insider