Smartphone's antitheft
Hello people, I'm coming back from holidays, and it's beautiful to see the forum growning up with a lot of new people ( welcome to GS to all the new members ) , and a lot of new interesting threads...

My holidays hasn't been much relaxing , because my smartphone was stolen  Sad  and trying to track it down, I confirmed my theory:
if your smartphone get lost or stolen, there's no way to get it back.

All the "Antitheft" apps or similar are useless once the airplane mode is turned on, or the mobile is switched off, and flashing a new rom could break all the others ways to make your phone unusable.
So I would like to know what solutions have you adopted, and if a real solutions to this problem exists..
I'm sorry you lost your phone. Only solution i could theoretically think of would be to have an antitheft app run in the background with root privilege and contacting a server at a set time interval, if the app doesn't get the appropriate response from the server(Because it doesn't have an internet connection any more due to airplane mode) the antitheft functionality kicks in, turns airplane mode off and locks the phone or continuously uploads the GPS coordinates of the device or something of the sort.
(10-04-2016, 08:10 PM)overfl0wN Wrote: -snip-

Hello overfl0wN!
It's such a shame to hear that from you, getting stolen is never funny. Hope it was a theft without violence and that the phone is not 800€ as those new phones cost hehe. If it was with violence I think you can ask your insurance about it (depends on your insurance too).
About the antitheft apps we all know they are not usefull if someone knows how to correctly delete everything on a phone. However, from time to time some retards get it and if they are stupid enough they switch it on - this remembered me to a defcon conference in which the owner gets his pc back, it is so funny and entertaining to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo
I don't know if there is a reliable method to track mobiles so I'll be reading this thread in case someone posts something interesting.
Have a nice day!

(10-04-2016, 08:49 PM)Vector Wrote: I'm sorry you lost your phone. Only solution i could theoretically think of would be to have an antitheft app run in the background with root privilege and contacting a server at a set time interval, if the app doesn't get the appropriate response from the server(Because it doesn't have an internet connection any more due to airplane mode) the antitheft functionality kicks in, turns airplane mode off and locks the phone or continuously uploads the GPS coordinates of the device or something of the sort.

That would be a good idea, but I don't know any apps that are able to do that. You would also need to switch that antitheft off everytime you have to switch off your mobile phone or it would be wasting batery all day long Undecided
(10-04-2016, 09:09 PM)enmafia2 Wrote: That would be a good idea, but I don't know any apps that are able to do that. You would also need to switch that antitheft off everytime you have to switch off your mobile phone or it would be wasting batery all day long Undecided

You would be able to turn it on/off with a password. I don't know of any app that does this either but maybe we could develop something like this over at the Dev section. Tongue
(10-04-2016, 09:19 PM)Vector Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 09:09 PM)enmafia2 Wrote: That would be a good idea, but I don't know any apps that are able to do that. You would also need to switch that antitheft off everytime you have to switch off your mobile phone or it would be wasting batery all day long Undecided

You would be able to turn it on/off with a password. I don't know of any app that does this either but maybe we could develop something like this over at the Dev section. Tongue

It would be awesome, I can help with whatever thing you need but coding. I'm newb at coding and I would just be a nuisance.
Luckily it was a theft without violence, but my holidays were definitely ruined.. Wasting time at the police station, wasting time searching for my phone and wasting moneys for a new one.
I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone.

Let's forget about that and talk about something interesting: the app isn't a bad idea, but like enmafia2 said, it would waste a lot of battery if always running.
The app could be manually activated only when needed (e.g: I go for a swimm and the phone is left under the umbrella), and it turns off all the feature that drains battery, like wifi, bt, nfc, closes all the background active apps , some kind of energy save mode handled directly from the app itself, and then start the Antitheft work.
A good thing would be to disable the poweroff button until the screen is locked and the app active...
We could discuss about it Smile
Another approach could be hardware solutions, like an indipendent gps tracker inserted inside the phone... I'm looking for it...
(10-04-2016, 09:59 PM)overfl0wN Wrote: Luckily it was a theft without violence, but my holidays were  definitely ruined.. Wasting time at the police station, wasting time searching for my phone and wasting moneys for a new one.

Let's forget about that and talk about something interesting: the app isn't a bad idea, but like enmafia2 said, it would waste a lot of battery if always running.
The app could be manually activated only when needed (e.g: I go for a swimm and the phone is left under the umbrella), and it turns off all the feature that drains battery, like wifi, bt, nfc, closes all the  background active apps , some kind of energy save mode handled directly from the app itself, and then start the Antitheft work.
A good thing would be to disable the poweroff button until the screen is locked and the app active...
Another approach could be hardware solutions, like an indipendent gps tracker inserted inside the phone... I'm looking for it...

Yeah some kind of power saving mechanisms could be employed for sure. Personally i don't have a lot of experience developing on Android but with QPython it certainly does seem do-able. Also as far as hardware solutions go, a standalone GPS tracker sounds cool but would one of sufficient small size be affordable realistically ? It would be a good investment i'd say but i'm not sure of how much it would cost.
(10-05-2016, 02:22 AM)Vector Wrote:
(10-04-2016, 09:59 PM)overfl0wN Wrote: Luckily it was a theft without violence, but my holidays were  definitely ruined.. Wasting time at the police station, wasting time searching for my phone and wasting moneys for a new one.

The app could be manually activated only when needed (e.g: I go for a swimm and the phone is left under the umbrella), and it turns off all the feature that drains battery, like wifi, bt, nfc, closes all the  background active apps , some kind of energy save mode handled directly from the app itself, and then start the Antitheft work.

Yeah some kind of power saving mechanisms could be employed for sure. Personally i don't have a lot of experience developing on Android but with QPython it certainly does seem do-able. Also as far as hardware solutions go, a standalone GPS tracker sounds cool but would one of sufficient small size be affordable realistically ? It would be a good investment i'd say but i'm not sure of how much it would cost.

I have zero experience in developing on Android, but I'm learning Python, so QPython would be perfect.
All the gps tracker I found until now are too big and not so cheap, so I have to search better Big Grin
I suppose you could wait for your thief to turn on your phone or turn off your airplane mode. In addition to that if you'd like to render your phone unusuable to your thief, you can report it to your phone operator and such, providing your IMEI number and proving your purchase and such. Then the IMEI will be added to a blacklist and your thief won't really be able to use it for any calls or texts unless he gets himself a new IMEI.
man the level of stupid in this thread is astonishing.

Quote:So I would like to know what solutions have you adopted, and if a real solutions to this problem exists..

You're seriously asking if there is a solution to track a phone thats been turned off? Sure there is... you attach a GPS device to it. but a thief would see and remove that pretty quickly. there's no room inside a smartphone for a commercial gps tracker.

And airplane mode?? The first step a thief does is remove the SIM card so people can't use services like findmyphone and shit. No connectivity means the phone can't report back to a server regardless of airplane mode (and who the fuck leaves their phone without a passcode even allowing a thief to turn on airplane mode any ways??)

The solution is simple. Don't be an idiot. Keep your phone locked. And short of adding an external gps tracker (which will likely be seen/found) - you can only rely on the thief being stupid and not removing the SIM/battery, you're probably fucked. Cause you can't track a phone without power, a sim card, or an internet connection.