"Hacking" for profit or fun?
Well this can sound a bit childish but, do you hack for profit or fun?
I mean, in case you search for exploits, are you searching for money or just for a way to entertain yourself and help the companies fixing errors?
I have been thinking about this for a while, just being curious.
Is there even money in things like this though? Bug bounties are pretty shitty imo. Someone once sent me a article where someone had managed to download the entire source code for Vine. After he reported it they apparently gave him some hilariously small amount like $14k. If he sold it I imagine it would be closer to a couple hundred at least. Whenever I find a serious exploit in anything its usually on accident when buying concert tickets or something through some smaller website. When this happens I find it more rewarding to just report it and tell them a better way of doing it rather then fucking them over. This might also have a little to do with the fact that they already have all my contact info though.
I don't exactly hack for profit myself, but why not both? If circumstances were different, If I had a more secure alias to use and such I could totally consider doing both hacks for profit and for fun. In a moderate a amount, enough to be worthwhile but not enough to get the attention from any 3 letter agencies from the five-eye countries.

I consider myself a grey hat after all, there has to be some balance :p Hehe.
(10-09-2016, 07:38 PM)Cuck Wrote: download the entire source code for Vine. After he reported it they apparently gave him some hilariously small amount like $14k
It is also sketchy because they could cry foul and have you thrown in jail.
(10-09-2016, 07:38 PM)Cuck Wrote: Is there even money in things like this though? Bug bounties are pretty shitty imo. Someone once sent me a article where someone had managed to download the entire source code for Vine. After he reported it they apparently gave him some hilariously small amount like $14k. If he sold it I imagine it would be closer to a couple hundred at least. Whenever I find a serious exploit in anything its usually on accident when buying concert tickets or something through some smaller website. When this happens I find it more rewarding to just report it and tell them a better way of doing it rather then fucking them over. This might also have a little to do with the fact that they already have all my contact info though.

There are shitloads of money in hacking. Selling databases is one thing, secondly ransomware is very big business. That all being said, when i hack i generally do it to learn and for e-cred.
(10-10-2016, 01:54 AM)Vector Wrote:
(10-09-2016, 07:38 PM)Cuck Wrote: Is there even money in things like this though? Bug bounties are pretty shitty imo. Someone once sent me a article where someone had managed to download the entire source code for Vine. After he reported it they apparently gave him some hilariously small amount like $14k. If he sold it I imagine it would be closer to a couple hundred at least. Whenever I find a serious exploit in anything its usually on accident when buying concert tickets or something through some smaller website. When this happens I find it more rewarding to just report it and tell them a better way of doing it rather then fucking them over. This might also have a little to do with the fact that they already have all my contact info though.

There are shitloads of money in hacking. Selling databases is one thing, secondly ransomware is very big business. That all being said, when i hack i generally do it to learn and for e-cred.

Yeah, it depends in what you get involved in. With e-cred do you mean carding? I can't really find a good definition in Google (Also got this: A measure of one's success at pretending to be cool online. ")
(10-09-2016, 07:38 PM)Cuck Wrote: Is there even money in things like this though? Bug bounties are pretty shitty imo. Someone once sent me a article where someone had managed to download the entire source code for Vine. After he reported it they apparently gave him some hilariously small amount like $14k.

I know a guy, who started doing bug bounties 3 years ago. He's now earning upwards of 250k a year. Thats an average of 20k a month. 14k may be a 'small amount' to you. But if you can find several decent sized vulnerabilities a month, you can make serious bank.

The only difference is skill. Just because it takes you 4 months to find a vuln worth 5k, doesn't mean he can't find the same vulns in a week.
(10-10-2016, 01:47 PM)enmafia2 Wrote: Yeah, it depends in what you get involved in. With e-cred do you mean carding? I can't really find a good definition in Google (Also got this: A measure of one's success at pretending to be cool online. ")

E-cred = Internet Notoriety/Reputation
Neither profit nor fun. It's for our appetite of exploration and possibilities and of course sometimes to fullfill our personal interests.

Correct me if i am wrong. :p
(10-28-2016, 06:51 PM)SciencePower Wrote: Neither profit nor fun. It's for our appetite of exploration and possibilities and of course sometimes to fullfill our personal interests.

Correct me if i am wrong. :p

Well, that's what I meant to say with "for fun".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone know of a good well-rounded, all in one IT/CS/CE/Sec/EE/hacking podcast? QMark 2 704 07-24-2020, 09:56 PM
Last Post: QMark
  is general Python hacking a serious specialty? QMark 11 1,640 07-14-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Vector
  Analogue Hacking - Genisis[Trash] limb777 3 1,942 05-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  how good is hacking dojo really? QMark 1 5,439 10-16-2018, 05:02 AM
Last Post: kms