Installing Kali Problem
Hello, so, I want to install the new version of kali to a laptop I have.
However, I am not able to install it via USB and the laptop doesn't have CD slot.
I have used Unetbooting and "Mac Linux USB Loader" (those have worked for me installing other distros like lubuntu and linux mint) to create the USB.
The .iso was downloaded via torrent from the official website.
With "Mac Linux USB Loader" I don't get anything, just a black screen with an underscore toggling.
With Unetbooting I got this error: "not a system - press enter to reboot"
I was wondering if you guys know a solution for this or know what can be happening. I'm kind of lost and couldn't find a working solution on the internet.
Thanks
- don't install Kali as a primary OS bad for a wide variety of reasons
- format the USB stick
- redownload the ISO(or check the md5)
- only use Unetbootin and make sure you select the proper ISO and device and when asked format it

I'm also assuming you have disabled things like "secure" boot?
Yep. Don't use Kali as a primary OS. In fact don't use Kali at all in my opinion. If you must, you could consider running in VM, also if you are looking to get a Debian based distro, why not get Debian and simply install the things you need. Like i mentioned in the other thread i am personally on BackBox Ubuntu, Ubuntu is a good general purpose OS and a good pentesting distro with the additions Backbox brings to the table, and of course some personalisation to your vision of a solid pentesting/general platform.
(10-21-2016, 03:43 AM)NO-OP Wrote: - don't install Kali as a primary OS bad for a wide variety of reasons
- format the USB stick
- redownload the ISO(or check the md5)
- only use Unetbootin and make sure you select the proper ISO and device and when asked format it

I'm also assuming you have disabled things like "secure" boot?

(10-21-2016, 01:29 PM)Vector Wrote: Yep. Don't use Kali as a primary OS. In fact don't use Kali at all in my opinion. If you must, you could consider running in VM, also if you are looking to get a Debian based distro, why not get Debian and simply install the things you need. Like i mentioned in the other thread i am personally on BackBox Ubuntu, Ubuntu is a good general purpose OS and a good pentesting distro with the additions Backbox brings to the table, and of course some personalisation to your vision of a solid pentesting/general platform.

Okay, I won't install kali as primary OS. I will also consider the OS you mentioned (BackBox Ubuntu).
Also, I did format the USB, redownloaded the ISO and tried unetbooting in windows and mac.
I will try downloading BackBox Ubuntu.
Thanks for your help, will tell if I still have problems
(10-21-2016, 01:29 PM)Vector Wrote: Yep. Don't use Kali as a primary OS. In fact don't use Kali at all in my opinion. If you must, you could consider running in VM, also if you are looking to get a Debian based distro, why not get Debian and simply install the things you need. Like i mentioned in the other thread i am personally on BackBox Ubuntu, Ubuntu is a good general purpose OS and a good pentesting distro with the additions Backbox brings to the table, and of course some personalisation to your vision of a solid pentesting/general platform.

Hey Vector,

I'm pretty new here and already trilled by all the informative stuff. There are a lot of interesting posts to be found. I'm not an experienced guy, most of the stuff is pretty new to me and I'm trying to get the hang of it, but so far it is really fascinating. Could you please explain why you won't install Kali as first OS and even more important why you would rather choose BackBox Ubuntu.

Btw what do you think of Black Arch Linux or Parrot Security and what do you think of setting up a Qubes OS and run a penetration testing distro on it?
(11-10-2016, 05:19 PM)d3x Wrote:

Hey Vector,

I'm pretty new here and already trilled by all the informative stuff. There are a lot of interesting posts to be found. I'm not an experienced guy, most of the stuff is pretty new to me and I'm trying to get the hang of it, but so far it is really fascinating. Could you please explain why you won't install Kali as first OS and even more important why you would rather choose BackBox Ubuntu.

Btw what do you think of Black Arch Linux or Parrot Security and what do you think of setting up a Qubes OS and run a penetration testing distro on it?

Hello d3x welcome to the forums! I am glad you are enjoying it here so far. With regards to your question, Kali is built primarily as a pentesting OS, it's not good for much anything else. Sure it does it's job well but having only a root account to work from doesn't particularly strike me as a good security practice, there is a reason most distros use `sudo` to perform administrative tasks. When live booting or in VM this is much less of a problem. Since any security issues would be contained. Secondly Kali isn't particularly light weight and comes with a bunch of tools which most of the time you won't be using anyway. Backbox Ubuntu is built to maximize efficiency and reduce redundancy. It doesn't come with a million tools installed but has everything you could want in a pentesting distro. If you're missing anything it can be installed quite easily. Debian packages will work as well since as you know Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Ubuntu being Ubuntu you also have the possibility to install Wine/PlayOnLinux if you're into gaming. All in all, Backbox is more of a combination of a general OS and a pentesting OS, besides infosec and programming i use it for every day tasks as well. If you haven't already check out tjeir website https://backbox.org/

With regards to Arch based distros, they generally tend to be for the somewhat more advanced users, sure you could build a complete pentesting distro from the ground up with Arch or go with Black Arch or Arch Assault, but then you will have a lot of stuff you generally don't be using anyway. I mean three tools to perform the same task seems overkill to me.

Qubes is based on a cool concept but if you are looking into getting Qubes as OPSEC, OS i would say that would be a little overkill. With regards to OPSEC, live booting is always a good idea no matter what specialized OS you are using, maybe crack the neighbors WIFI while you are at it Tongue

Anyway, i hope this was helpful, if you have any more questions feel free to ask here or in a thread. Smile
(11-14-2016, 12:22 AM)Vector Wrote: but having only a root account to work from doesn't particularly strike me as a good security practice, there is a reason most distros use `sudo` to perform administrative tasks. When live booting or in VM this is much less of a problem. Since any security issues would be contained.

This is absolutely the most piss poor excuse not to use kali as a primary distro. It's fucking Linux. You can do whatever the fuck you want with it. The only people that this advice applies are people that are too stupid or ignorant to do
Quote:> useradd username
> passwd username
> Type New Password: *******
> Retype New Password: *******

And in which case, if you don't fucking know enough to do that ^^ then you probably shouldn't even be thinking about installing Kali.

(11-14-2016, 12:22 AM)Vector Wrote: Secondly Kali isn't particularly light weight and comes with a bunch of tools which most of the time you won't be using anyway.

THIS is why I fucking hate kali. Comes with more shit and bloatware than you'd ever need. 90% of kali users likely don't know what 95% of the tools installed are, let alone use them.

Kali linux is for script kiddies that don't know what the fuck they are doing. That goes for other pen testing distros too.
(11-14-2016, 02:48 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
(11-14-2016, 12:22 AM)Vector Wrote: but having only a root account to work from doesn't particularly strike me as a good security practice, there is a reason most distros use `sudo` to perform administrative tasks. When live booting or in VM this is much less of a problem. Since any security issues would be contained.

This is absolutely the most piss poor excuse not to use kali as a primary distro. It's fucking Linux. You can do whatever the fuck you want with it. The only people that this advice applies are people that are too stupid or ignorant to do
Quote:> useradd username
> passwd username
> Type New Password: *******
> Retype New Password: *******

And in which case, if you don't fucking know enough to do that ^^ then you probably shouldn't even be thinking about installing Kali.

(11-14-2016, 12:22 AM)Vector Wrote: Secondly Kali isn't particularly light weight and comes with a bunch of tools which most of the time you won't be using anyway.

THIS is why I fucking hate kali. Comes with more shit and bloatware than you'd ever need. 90% of kali users likely don't know what 95% of the tools installed are, let alone use them.

Kali linux is for script kiddies that don't know what the fuck they are doing. That goes for other pen testing distros too.

You need to calm the fuck down MuddyBucket. The reason i mentioned what i did about the root account in Kali is because the person asking the question indicated they were new to all this. Also if you think pentesting distros no matter what flavor are for script kiddies and people that don't know what they are doing. You would be better off going to evilzone. You might fit in better there with the rest of the elitist douchebags.

I know you have a lot of experience and knowledge in the field and i respect you for it, but you can be a straight up asshole sometimes.
(11-14-2016, 10:38 AM)Vector Wrote: You need to calm the fuck down MuddyBucket.

Lets make one thing crystal fucking clear. I don't need to do anything.

(11-14-2016, 10:38 AM)Vector Wrote: The reason i mentioned what i did about the root account in Kali is because the person asking the question indicated they were new to all this.

2 fucking commands. That's all it fucking takes to create a standard account. If they can install kali, and use any of the fucking tools, you can tell them how to run 2 fucking commands. Don't just make up bullshit.

(11-14-2016, 10:38 AM)Vector Wrote: Also if you think pentesting distros no matter what flavor are for script kiddies and people that don't know what they are doing. You would be better off going to evilzone. You might fit in better there with the rest of the elitist douchebags.

They are for script kiddies. It's a fucking skids wet dream. hundreds of tools they can point and click with. or follow along to some youtube howto. They're horribly bloated and filled with crap that you'll never use. This creates an unstable and insecure environment. They also have horrible support for 3rd party packages. Want to install GoLang? NodeJS? or any number of packages that aren't in their tightly controlled repo? good fucking luck. it might work. It might not. It might half work. cue unstable application that randomly crashes. Sometimes it even manages to take the OS with it.

And I am not just pulling this shit out of my ass, I heard how much better Kali 2.0 was over 1.0 and BackTrack, so I gave it a decent shot and used it at various hacker cons/meetups for a few months. It's still a fucking piece of shit OS out of the start gate. Still fucking slow with plenty of ram and diskspace. still bloated. still unstable.

I have yet to meet a real hacker/security professional who espouse the use of these shitty distros. It has nothing to do with being elitist. The ability to define your own environment is key. Fast, streamlined, configured for your needs/desires is how professionals work. They don't want pre-packaged shit designed for the masses. The only people you see actually using these distros are noobs and skids. And if you're sitting there using one... perhaps think about what that means.
(11-14-2016, 01:23 PM)MuddyBucket Wrote: They are for script kiddies. It's a fucking skids wet dream. hundreds of tools they can point and click with. or follow along to some youtube howto. They're horribly bloated and filled with crap that you'll never use. This creates an unstable and insecure environment. They also have horrible support for 3rd party packages. Want to install GoLang? NodeJS? or any number of packages that aren't in their tightly controlled repo? good fucking luck. it might work. It might not. It might half work. cue unstable application that randomly crashes. Sometimes it even manages to take the OS with it.

And I am not just pulling this shit out of my ass, I heard how much better Kali 2.0 was over 1.0 and BackTrack, so I gave it a decent shot and used it at various hacker cons/meetups for a few months. It's still a fucking piece of shit OS out of the start gate. Still fucking slow with plenty of ram and diskspace. still bloated. still unstable.

I have yet to meet a real hacker/security professional who espouse the use of these shitty distros. It has nothing to do with being elitist. The ability to define your own environment is key. Fast, streamlined, configured for your needs/desires is how professionals work. They don't want pre-packaged shit designed for the masses. The only people you see actually using these distros are noobs and skids. And if you're sitting there using one... perhaps think about what that means.

I don't pretend to be a an infosec professional, or an expert. And we can't all have 20+ years of experience like you may have but calling everyone that has a pentesting distro a noob or a skid, just makes you sound like an asshole. Backbox, is a lightweight distro with a minimal amount of tools that is about as customizable as any distro, and hey if you would like the less experienced users to go about it in the proper way as far as you are concerned why don't you actually contribute to the pool of knowledge and write up a few threads showing how you would go about setting up an environment that lives up to your standards. Do something constructive instead of complain and berate people.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  root@kali:~# How To Make a Kali USB DeepLogic 2 3,280 04-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Last Post: DeepLogic
  Using Kali Linux (And other systems) natively on Windows 10 without VM. Insider 2 3,613 03-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  problem with installing gcc on CentOS QMark 2 7,147 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Vector
  Mantra Problem Anthrax 9 6,936 10-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Vector