[11-26-2016] Routine changes, IP-Bans flushed & more
[11-26-2016] Routine changes, IP-Bans flushed & more

Purge-spammer is a handy little tool for us moderator that lets us quickly purge spammers and spambots in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately this brings a small trade-off their registration IPs get IP-Banned as well, meaning there will be collateral damage for those using tor and proxies. Seems like the list had grown quite a bit lately, I have now flushed all banned IPs and will continue to do so more frequently.

So if you tried to register with a vpn/proxy or tor exit node and got denied, you may know try it again with success this time! Smile

In other news:
Our public supermoderator Chmod has been demoted due to heavy inactivity. Unfortunately there are some limits that comes with this position, and keeping a moderator inactive since 2015 poses a potential security liability. So for now I have demoted him, but should he ever return to us he may have his position reinstated if he so wish. After all he did a pretty good job.

COPPA License security question has been removed. There was no reason to keep this anyway since we no longer have any frontends in the US. Besides the spam bots has already figured out the answer, so I've added a new set of security questions.

About the topic on security questions, I need your opinions on this. I've been thinking of adding more technical but simple security lately, to sort out peope who can't do research or potential script kiddies? Yay or nay? Got any thoughts on that, was thinking of some question similar to what evilzone had like "Sha256 greysec.net: " what's your thoughts? If you think this is a good idea, do you have any suggestions for questions that are not too hard or too simple?

While I'm on it, let me also tell you about some of my plans for the upcoming future of GreySec:
* New private usergroup, second level forum will be added for people who contribute a lot on the forum. ETA somewhere between after christmas to potentially after new year.
* Tor ONION Hidden service for GreySec: ETA January 2017
* I2P Hidden Service for GreySec: It's a possibility, will review this after introducing the onion. It depends on how the resources will look on our new server.
* I will also edit the rules a bit soon, for easier readability and just a review on potential parts to remove or keep. The key to a great forum is order in my opinion, so I'll review it. Can't be too strict you know, but not too loose either. I'll find a middle ground.
Making it a onion forum would probably bring an influx of much needed new users, although not sure how many quality people still use tor, looking at your average onion forum where 90% of the threads are "need help with x", "hack this website for me for free pls". Guess the security question would weed out most of those though assuming they don't know how to use google.
To be honest I never visited hacking forums on the deep web, so I can't give an opinion about that.
However, about the security questions, I think this is a great idea and I think that they will do their job.
Nice changes Insider!
(11-26-2016, 02:13 PM)Cuck Wrote: Making it a onion forum would probably bring an influx of much needed new users, although not sure how many quality people still use tor, looking at your average onion forum where 90% of the threads are "need help with x", "hack this website for me for free pls". 

That is true, I'll have to look into plans to prevent this. Like a few rule changes like I mentioned before, and also establish a staff team spread out in several timezones. I believe there's still a few decent quality users on tor and many other places. It's just that almost all those "leecher" users flock to the private forums, which there's an abundance of on Darknet.

That being said it won't be so easy for them to disrupt our forum if we have clear rules, an effective staff team and strict enough policies. Like I also mentioned, getting into the "future" private levels of the forums require contribution, it will be easy to root out the low quality users and script kiddies early on.

But true, I will look into this. 

(11-26-2016, 02:13 PM)Cuck Wrote: Guess the security question would weed out most of those though assuming they don't know how to use google.

Yeah, I just need to figure out some questions that isn't too hard or too simple. If you got any suggestions, let me know.

(11-26-2016, 06:27 PM)enmafia2 Wrote: To be honest I never visited hacking forums on the deep web, so I can't give an opinion about that.
However, about the security questions, I think this is a great idea and I think that they will do their job.
Nice changes Insider!

Thank you, if you have any ideas for questions then please let me know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [11-11-2016] Thanks Disabled Insider 2 13,756 11-12-2016, 12:53 AM
Last Post: Insider
  [05-22-2016] Mail is back on track Insider 2 14,114 05-22-2016, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Insider
  [05-06-2016] Related/Similar Threads Insider 1 12,566 05-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: D/L
  [04-02-2016] Moving to new infrastructure Insider 6 19,227 04-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Vector