Python and Android
I'm posting here because I think this can become an interesting project to work on.
Referring to this post, I'm working with qPython and sl4a, but I'm having some trouble because sl4a is a little bit outdated and no more mantained.
I don't know java and I'm not going to learn it for now, is there another way to work on android with python???
You mean some type of anti-theft app? I don't have a lot of experience with the Android related libraries so i will have to do some research before i can concretely help you out. Also, could you be a little more specific what features do you want?
I was developing with SL4A using Python back when it was actually supported and well.. Making a publishable application that leverages lower levels of the Android OS isn't very doable without some serious work.

An anti-theft/recovery application is going to require interacting with lower parts of the Android OS and for that I think you're going to have to use Java, unfortunately.

You could potentially develop natively with Go https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/Mobile
but you would still be stuck learning a new language.
@Vector: yes the antitheft app. Now I'm facing problem with the management of the airplane mode and the app closure, that's why their management has changed with the newer version of android. sl4a was a good project, and maybe could be useful again, but not for this app. I'm going to leave python and start with native android language to have full control of the phone.

@NO-OP: seems that time has come to learn a new language...any suggestion for some good java starting point?
(12-05-2016, 08:50 AM)overfl0wN Wrote: @Vector: yes the antitheft app. Now I'm facing problem with the management of the airplane mode and the app closure, that's why their management has changed with the newer version of android. sl4a was a good project, and maybe could be useful again, but not for this app. I'm going to leave python and start with native android language to have full control of the phone.

@NO-OP: seems that time has come to learn a new language...any suggestion for some good java starting point?

For me personally there are too many things about Java that I just don't like so I haven't touched it in a long time, most of the resources that are available didn't exist. Hell Eclipse had just released 3.0 stable.

But from a general point of view I would have to say "Learn ___ the hard way" is always a great spot to start for Python and C so I don't see why the Java book wouldn't be decent. Also codecademy has a Java course https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java

So maybe do the Java course then do a Hello World Android project. By the end of it you'll have your IDE set up and know how to start working around in Java, learning a new language is much easier than learning your first. Good luck, and I'm glad you chose this path instead, programming languages aren't methods of thinking the a programmer takes on, they're tools and you should always use the right tool for the job.
Look into ionic and cordova. They work together, I forget which is which, but one of them is a bootstrap thing for making apps in javascript and the other is a bunch of libaries for accessing all the device components. I only made a basic file browser.. but I think it can access camera, gps, network.

And java is not actually that bad, but doing it for android dev is a cluster fuck. I made pretty much zero progress when I tried. I hope you like xml if you go this route. I'm sure it's just a steep learning curve though, the google ide was actually really good about predicting keywords.
@NO-OP: Thanks for the link, I'm going to start the course today Wink

@StickFigure: if the only way to realize the app I'm trying to do is learning a new language, I prefer to learn native Android programming language.