GreySec Social thread.
(04-18-2018, 10:12 PM)enmafia2 Wrote: Really nice story, shame your boss doesn't have a sense of humour.
Did they finally change their passwords or something?

Well my boss did think it was very funny, but once he started getting grief from the building management, he sorta had to treat it more seriously.

In related news I've discovered that building management are not someone you want to piss off. For some reason our air conditioning broke yesterday, and I kid you not, the office was about 35 degrees C and it was agony. So management started giving out ice creams, but I wasn't allowed one Sad

And now any time the elevators or something stops working this one guy from their teams says "It's those damn infosec guys up on 8th"... So yeah, not the best people to annoy hahaha.

Insider Wrote:Haha oh man! That's hillarious and interesting to hear @EnigmaCookie! Big Grin You're an inspiration to us all. I hope you got to keep your coffee flavor despite complaints from the building management.

I did ask, after I was caught out, if I could keep the coffees. He didn't really seem to care and said it would be too expensive to get the service repairman in to take a look. So it wasn't even really a big deal!
(04-18-2018, 10:53 PM)Cypher Wrote: That's a legendary story, EnigmaCookie. I love it.

On another note, a little update on my life: currently finishing up exams, my last exam is on the morning of 4/20, it is an Operating Systems course. Tonight and tomorrow will be nights of speed and Redbull. Hopefully I don't die in the next 48 hours.

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll ace them all!
And you will be able to celebrate 420 too!  Angel

(04-19-2018, 06:48 AM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: So management started giving out ice creams, but I wasn't allowed one Sad

That's just evil Sad
Today I have a not so funny story to tell.

When I arrived in this strange country, I asked my boss what cyber security events, conferences, etc there are I can get involved in. He suggested BSides.

Cool, I thought, and I looked it up. It looked pretty swell, and I noticed they had a "Rookie" track for first time speakers.

Since I had some research from a few years back that I had never done anything with, I thought this would be a good oppurtunity to go for. Maybe it would help me network with the right people. So I applied.

Fast forward 2 months, I had my talk accepted! Woo! So I told me boss, and he was happy. He suggested I do a practice run with my colleagues, so I scheduled it in.

Fast forward 2 days, 2 minutes before I was due to present, my boss tells me to cancel the meeting and follow him.

He takes me in to a dark and scary room I didn't even know existed, and he tell me, "we have a problem"...

Long story short, the guys over at Bsides had looked me up when I applied to talk (pretty standard practice, no issues there). They found out I had a bunch of convictions, again, no issues there; this was all public record and my employer was well aware of it.

The issue was that someone at Bsides happened to know a colleague I work right alongside. He told him that I have all these convictions, and he reported it to my boss (that's something I would never do, but no grudge).

So what's the problem? Well it turns out that even though I had told me boss everything about my history, they apparently did not know that there were articles about me online! Suddenly a HR monster entered the room and told me that they couldn't allow me to speak at Bsides, and I was suspended effective immediately whilst they consider disciplinary actions.

"For what?", I say... "For not telling us about these articles", she replies.

"But I told you about the convictions, and you agreed that they shouldn't affect my employment, so what difference does information online make to that process, especially when they don't offer any new information"

"Enough!", the monster yells. "Don't argue! You're still on your probation period we can do whatever the hell we want".

So, in other words, they're basically concerned about their reputation. I make a splash at Bsides, people Google me, connect me with my work place, and BAM - it becomes a problem.

I'm currently at home on suspension, awaiting my meeting. I've done all this before in previous jobs, and I know it never ends well.

I'm left feeling a tad of injustice, since I REALLY didn't do anything wrong here... I voluntarily disclosed everything and was fully transparent. Should I have told them that there were articles online where people call me a criminal?

Thanks for reading, I entitle this piece: "How Bsides made me lose my job".
Oh man, that sucks! And also angers me, companies man. I swear... sometimes all they care about is their own image.

Are you a former black hat maybe? Well I won't pry into those matters. But is this the reason you've considered changing career paths?
(05-03-2018, 07:12 PM)Insider Wrote: Oh man, that sucks! And also angers me, companies man. I swear... sometimes all they care about is their own image.

Are you a former black hat maybe? Well I won't pry into those matters. But is this the reason you've considered changing career paths?

Tell me about it...

And nope. Never done anything black hat in my life, which I'm quite proud to admit.

Considering changing career paths because it is so goddam stressful trying to work in IT with criminal convictions, of any kind. It's literally a battle every day, even when, in this case, I was fully transparent and they knew before they hired me.
(05-03-2018, 07:28 PM)EnigmaCookie Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 07:12 PM)Insider Wrote: Oh man, that sucks! And also angers me, companies man. I swear... sometimes all they care about is their own image.

Tell me about it...

And nope. Never done anything black hat in my life, which I'm quite proud to admit.

Considering changing career paths because it is so goddam stressful trying to work in IT with criminal convictions, of any kind. It's literally a battle every day, even when, in this case, I was fully transparent and they knew before they hired me.

Have you considering starting something on your own? Or maybe going freelance? It's probably a lot of hard work and stress, but I can imagine that you'll have more control and freedom.
(05-03-2018, 08:03 PM)Insider Wrote:

Tell me about it...

Have you considering starting something on your own? Or maybe going freelance? It's probably a lot of hard work and stress, but I can imagine that you'll have more control and freedom.

Yes, I did this a while ago when I couldn't find work. 

It worked, but I wasn't making nearly enough to live on. I found it really difficult to actually find clients, and I wasn't exactly sure what the best way to advertise is (amd even so, I didn't have enough money to spend much on it).

I'm obviously re-considering this. But idk, being self-employed is probably just as stressful as my current situation. If I want a happy life, I'm starting to think I just need to get out of IT.
(05-03-2018, 08:09 PM)EnigmaCookie Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 08:03 PM)Insider Wrote:

Tell me about it...

Yes, I did this a while ago when I couldn't find work. 

It worked, but I wasn't making nearly enough to live on. I found it really difficult to actually find clients, and I wasn't exactly sure what the best way to advertise is (amd even so, I didn't have enough money to spend much on it).

I'm obviously re-considering this. But idk, being self-employed is probably just as stressful as my current situation. If I want a happy life, I'm starting to think I just need to get out of IT.

I'm sorry for your loss, anyways, are you going to talk in bsides in the end?
It might give you some exposure which can be a little help for you.
I totally support the idea of leaving IT, but maybe what I would do if I were you would be to continue on IT as you already have some experience until you find other job to work on. It shouldn't be hard for you as you have several degrees and your portfolio looks promising.
You will find the way, I'm sure about that.
Listen, I'm not saying that I'll have to write-up an official announcement soon, but...
https://twitter.com/greysec_net/status/9...6583257088

More to come, folks.
(05-05-2018, 11:15 PM)Cypher Wrote: Listen, I'm not saying that I'll have to write-up an official announcement soon, but...
https://twitter.com/greysec_net/status/9...6583257088

More to come, folks.

Coooool! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did you find GreySec? Insider 8 1,056 06-11-2020, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Insider
  GreySec Scraper Tool Release Dismal_0x8 4 970 06-09-2020, 12:20 AM
  GreySec Forum Statistics (Full Stats) Dismal_0x8 7 924 06-02-2020, 11:15 AM
  Project: GreySec Data Scraper Program Dismal_0x8 14 2,307 05-17-2020, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Dismal_0x8