Help choosing my linux OS
So i've decided to move away from windows and have narrowed down my choice for my linux os to Linux Mint, cinnamon edition and manjaro.

I can't decide wether to stick with debian or arch. Also, i will be gaming a bit, is one better for that than the other? 

What are your suggestions?
Thanks
Eh in my opinion, Mint is like Ubuntu's retarded little brother. If you're going Debian based i would go with Ubuntu personally. Arch is popular and it has some benefits but for every day use i would suggest going with Ubuntu.
(03-09-2017, 08:35 PM)Vector Wrote: Eh in my opinion, Mint is like Ubuntu's retarded little brother. If you're going Debian based i would go with Ubuntu personally. Arch is popular and it has some benefits but for every day use i would suggest going with Ubuntu.

Why would you say it's like Ubuntu's retarded little brother?
(03-09-2017, 09:36 PM)Knife Boss Wrote:
(03-09-2017, 08:35 PM)Vector Wrote: Eh in my opinion, Mint is like Ubuntu's retarded little brother. If you're going Debian based i would go with Ubuntu personally. Arch is popular and it has some benefits but for every day use i would suggest going with Ubuntu.

Why would you say it's like Ubuntu's retarded little brother?

Well for one they kind of fucked up their security model. If you don't enable level 4 and 5 updates or use `apt-get dist-upgrade`, it will block installation of some major security updates. Which is a little retarded imho.
Manjaro will be your best choice especially since you'll be gaming a bit. It works on most PCs 'out-of-the-box' and has Steam pre-installed. I've used it many of times and it is probably one of the most stable operating systems I've ever ran.
I agree with Vector on Linux Mint. Aside from the reasons mentioned, they managed to let some guy take control of their website who then replaced their ISOs with backdoored versions. Also, he stole their forum's database, which included about 150k user passwords, and offered it for sale. They got pwned another time right after. In the aftermath of this, the Linux Mint community changed its password policy so users couldn't set their own password anymore but only request a new one - which was to be sent via email. Yes, you read that right. Via email. That's fucking retarded. All of this happened last year. So, I'd stay away from Mint.

I'd say for your first Linux distribution it should be either Debian or Arch. Using a derivative of those doesn't make much sense in my opinion. A derivative is not actually a different OS, you just get to make less choices.
Arch is great if you've got time to experiment with different settings until you get what feels right for you. You can customize it as much as you want, but if you've never used it before it takes a bit of time to setup. Fortunately, the Arch wiki and forum are amazing, you'll get all the answers you need there.

I also have a bunch of servers and they all run on Debian, but I used to use it as a day-to-day distro until I switched to Arch. It's fast, stable and it works out-of-the-box. You won't get the sweet rolling-releases of Arch, but it's still a great distribution.

Can't tell you much about gaming on these distributions though.
(03-10-2017, 05:55 AM)Crypto Wrote: Manjaro will be your best choice especially since you'll be gaming a bit. It works on most PCs 'out-of-the-box' and has Steam pre-installed. I've used it many of times and it is probably one of the most stable operating systems I've ever ran.

Have you ever tried the community editions also, are they as stable as the official ones?
(03-10-2017, 03:46 PM)Knife Boss Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 05:55 AM)Crypto Wrote: Manjaro will be your best choice especially since you'll be gaming a bit. It works on most PCs 'out-of-the-box' and has Steam pre-installed. I've used it many of times and it is probably one of the most stable operating systems I've ever ran.

Have you ever tried the community editions also, are they as stable as the official ones?

I have tried them and they seem just about as stable as the other releases, there 'may' be a bug in it every now and then but nothing that isn't probably already lined up to be fixed.
Either Ubuntu or Arch Linux would be my choices. It's up to you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Folder sharing between Linux and Windows overfl0wN 5 10,544 04-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  Using Kali Linux (And other systems) natively on Windows 10 without VM. Insider 2 5,205 03-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  What OS or Linux distro is everyone using around here? Kontu 55 71,490 10-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Last Post: 6U4RD14N
  [Help] "BootMGR is missing" after Debian 9 Install system32 4 8,283 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Last Post: system32