What OS or Linux distro is everyone using around here?
What OS or Linux distro is everyone using around here?
Personally a Arch user myself.
I'm a die-hard Debian fan myself. Had it for years now Smile
(08-09-2017, 01:57 PM)Insider Wrote: I'm a die-hard Debian fan myself. Had it for years now Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought of Debian being on more older computers / hardware, Might be worth a shot using it on a few old laptops of mine if that is the case.
(08-09-2017, 02:44 PM)Kontu Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought of Debian being on more older computers / hardware, Might be worth a shot using it on a few old laptops of mine if that is the case.

Like most Linux systems, it is what you make it to be :p I got the minimal distro, removed all non-barebone components and built my stuff from the ground as I wanted. As I was a  huge fan of crunchbang in the past I got myself Openbox, Tint2 panel & compton to simulate that look. Haha but nothing beats Gentoo and LFS though.

I'm not aware of Debian being a number one choice for old computers. It depends on how old the computer is, but I personally think PuppyLinux or Knoppix would be a better choice for those systems. But indeed debian does not require that many resources compared to other systems, especially windows :p So you may have a point, Debian will run fairly well on old computers. But that's also one of their strengths in my eyes, fast and lightweight!

Here is my desktop :p (I blacked some stuff out)
Spoiler(Show)
[Image: I5BCdn.png]
I personally always go back to Xubuntu (Ubuntu + XFCE). It is lightweight, quick and clean.

At work, I typically use Debian (because why not?)

On servers, I typically use Debian or Ubuntu, again. I have no real preference when it comes to servers, honestly. I just use what works well for what I need.
(08-09-2017, 02:56 PM)Insider Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 02:44 PM)Kontu Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought of Debian being on more older computers / hardware, Might be worth a shot using it on a few old laptops of mine if that is the case.

Like most Linux systems, it is what you make it to be :p I got the minimal distro, removed all non-barebone components and built my stuff from the ground as I wanted. As I was a  huge fan of crunchbang in the past I got myself Openbox, Tint2 panel & compton to simulate that look. Haha but nothing beats Gentoo and LFS though.

I'm not aware of Debian being a number one choice for old computers. It depends on how old the computer is, but I personally think PuppyLinux or Knoppix would be a better choice for those systems. But indeed debian does not require that many resources compared to other systems, especially windows :p So you may have a point, Debian will run fairly well on old computers. But that's also one of their strengths in my eyes, fast and lightweight!

Here is my desktop :p (I blacked some stuff out)
Spoiler(Show)
[Image: I5BCdn.png]

Looks nice could you post that wallpaper?
I was thinking of switching over to something like i3 or Awesome to enhance the minimalistic feel.
Here is my Desktop (Don't be too harsh on KDE.)
Spoiler(Show)
[Image: v6u3x7P.png]

Also confused on to why you blacked out the CPU and GPU?
Windows XP Service Pack 1 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But seriously i am on Backbox Ubuntu. Comes pre-installed with a lot of tools i use, your general text editors, Tor all that good stuff. But is easily extendible and "hacker friendly" in the sense that it allows for a lot of customisation. which of course i enjoy. I run a couple of VM's as well, REMnux for your odd RevEng, Windows 7 to test malware. And i run a dev version of RHEL.
(08-09-2017, 03:20 PM)Vector Wrote: Backbox

Backbox is so pretty. ❤ ♡ ❤ ♡
I use Antergos as my everyday OS with windows on my laptop for programs like photoshop.
Windows 10 (don't kill me). I like it better for programming tbh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Folder sharing between Linux and Windows overfl0wN 5 8,385 04-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  Using Kali Linux (And other systems) natively on Windows 10 without VM. Insider 2 3,680 03-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  Arch Linux i3 Installation Lummania 10 13,466 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  making a secure linux enviourment Atlas 2 8,158 05-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Last Post: lunorian