What OS or Linux distro is everyone using around here?
I write and use what becomes infotropique OS, so basically the more I add the more I run my own OS.
I have a bit of everything; Lots of Debian servers, some macOS and Windows 10 workstations, a couple of boxes with various FreeBSD derivative on it. And of course, z/OS Smile
Windows 10, considering switching soon.
(03-18-2018, 04:02 AM)Void Wrote: Windows 10, considering switching soon.

To what? Smile
My preference is Debian! I find it so easy to use now. At times I resent the fact that it doesn't have many current packages, but providing I use Linux Mint as my main day-to-day machine, it's not a problem. As a stable environment to experience or host stuff, it's absolutely fantastic.
(03-20-2018, 03:01 PM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: My preference is Debian! I find it so easy to use now. At times I resent the fact that it doesn't have many current packages, but providing I use Linux Mint as my main day-to-day machine, it's not a problem. As a stable environment to experience or host stuff, it's absolutely fantastic.

Lol, Mint is like Ubuntu's retarded little brother. Not hating on you but i am curious as to why you prefer Mint over Ubuntu?
Quote:Lol, Mint is like Ubuntu's retarded little brother. Not hating on you but i am curious as to why you prefer Mint over Ubuntu?

Woah, woah. No. Mint is Ubuntu's smart, sophisticated brother. 

To begin with, we're talking purely every-day desktops here.

What's the biggest problem with Ubuntu? It's horrible, slow, confusing user interface.

What's the biggest problem with Debian (for desktop use)? It's slow release cycle, and the fact that new and exciting packages take slow long to reach the end user.

Presenting: Linux Mint. All the brilliance of cutting edge releases, with an incredibly basic, fast, and responsive UI. Perfect for casual document work or for those rare moments when you want to use a GUI file manager. In reality, the best thing about Linuxes is bash, so at least 50% of my time on a Linux PC is staring at lines of text on a black screen. Ubuntu seems to not want the user to do this, it says "Why press ALT+F2 when I can just give you this GUI Terminal interface on my over-inflated desktop display?", whereas Mint's very basic GUI says, "Hey, go right ahead to that console, I'll be waiting for you right here when you get back".

And so this is why I use Debian for my servers and dev machines, but Mint for all my day-to-day activities & tasks. It's just a better balance.
(12-07-2017, 07:18 PM)ImArtisan Wrote: Currently for me right now i have fedora 23 on a laptop i use and on my main system windows 10 dont know if ill dual boot it yet

Currently my old laptop has died now, I still dont know if I want to dual boot my main workhorse yet or run a VM. I currently just use windows 10 because I game on this and develop mobile apps in unity, and use it for my java class I haven't looked much into distros with unity and how great it runs.
(03-23-2018, 06:48 PM)ImArtisan Wrote:
(12-07-2017, 07:18 PM)ImArtisan Wrote: Currently for me right now i have fedora 23 on a laptop i use and on my main system windows 10 dont know if ill dual boot it yet

Currently my old laptop has died now, I still dont know if I want to dual boot my main workhorse yet or run a VM. I currently just use windows 10 because I game on this and develop mobile apps in unity, and use it for my java class I haven't looked much into distros with unity and how great it runs.

I find the best solution is to have a main PC running Windows 10 (cause, let's be honest, it's just easier to get grown-up stuff done on), but have a seperate device (laptop) for running Linux.

If you don't have a spare laptop, and if you have a Pro or Enterprise version of Windows, you can enable the Hyper-V Windows Service and run Linux machines as VMs! The Hyper-V isn't as good a VMWARE, but it's also totally free and really very usable - I find it's particularly good at making it easy to set up virtual networks.
Anything - change often.

BSDs, Arch's (BlackArch), Gentoo's (Pentoo), Kali, Qubes, TAILS, RHEL/CentOS

Then macOS and win ofc but less related. Tend to stay away from GNOME, Debian, Ubuntu etc but preference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help choosing my linux OS Knife Boss 15 26,593 07-17-2021, 02:44 AM
Last Post: x86Cow
  System Calls under Linux Insider 1 7,990 07-05-2021, 07:59 PM
  Linux Journey -- A beginner's resource for learning Linux Cypher 3 12,395 07-05-2021, 07:58 PM
   [Linux] Basics of AWK x86Cow 3 2,528 07-05-2021, 07:33 PM