Certifications and other things
What kind of certs do you guys use to get jobs in the industry?
Don‘t have a certificate myself. But from what I have heard both OSCP and Cisco-type certs like CISSP is pretty valuable in the industy.

But don‘t quote me on it. Just what I have heard and seen.
I dont have a certificate myself just knew people but like insider said those are both pretty valuable a few of my co workers have them.
I've got a certification in Java programming and computer science, issued by an American company called precisionexams.

As for industry, not in it.
It all depends on what you are specializing on. Here you can see some important ones:
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/best-i...-1352.html

In general, Microsoft’s/VMWare’s/Cisco’s certificates are well known and appreciated.
However, you can have 100 certificates, but if you’re not capable of showing your skills then you’re fucked.
Certificates show that you have the courage to complete courses and in a way learn some theory. In fields like IT where practice means all, you will need to go to interviews and answer questions tests.

I’m not saying that they are worthless, remember that there is a selection process before the interviews, but focus on developing your skills not on getting pieces of paper.

Skills > Certificates
On another note. While I can't say much about OSCP for now. But as for CISSP. I believe that one of the reasons it's highly valued is that it's quite hard to aqcuire. Not only do you need to pass all exams and such.

But to be able to get the actual certificate you need at least 5 years of experience in the IT/Network industry. And that will be check on through references and what not of course.

But you can still study and take the exam for CISSP without this experience. Although you can not call it CISSP certificate until you get that experience. As long as you don't have that experience, you can only call it a so called "Associate of (ISC)2".

For students studying at university and such. I hear you can get a waiver for this and have the experience requirement be shorten to 4 years instead of 5.
(11-02-2017, 08:25 AM)enmafia2 Wrote: It all depends on what you are specializing on. Here you can see some important ones:
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/best-i...-1352.html

In general, Microsoft’s/VMWare’s/Cisco’s certificates are well known and appreciated.
However, you can have 100 certificates, but if you’re not capable of showing your skills then you’re fucked.
Certificates show that you have the courage to complete courses and in a way learn some theory. In fields like IT where practice means all, you will need to go to interviews and answer questions tests.

I’m not saying that they are worthless, remember that there is a selection process before the interviews, but focus on developing your skills not on getting pieces of paper.

Skills > Certificates

At the same rate, having skills but nothing to show for them, e.g. certifications of your mastery or competency in a subject, can be just as crippling.

To say skills are better than certificates doesn't make sense when, realistically, the two should be equal, and someone should be able to show both.
(11-03-2017, 09:36 AM)Sweets Wrote: At the same rate, having skills but nothing to show for them, e.g. certifications of your mastery or competency in a subject, can be just as crippling.

To say skills are better than certificates doesn't make sense when, realistically, the two should be equal, and someone should be able to show both.

This is the sweetest reply that I really liked from this thread.

Based on experience, I have worked with someone before who owns a big company here in my country who offers web develompent services and cloud based management and recording systems which took place a year ago and he was like, "Hey **grimmbot's real name**, I have an Oracle database certification bla bla bla and I am certified to do this and that." then  when we got to the client's meeting, I was like the one answering most of his questions in regards about the system. Honestly speaking, I am not very knowledgeable with that area but I did my best to answer everything. I believe that I made things right by giving my suggestions on how to design and write the database then got my share. I was working for him as a freelancer but I ended up my communication with him once I have realized that I was being exploited in terms of the right amount of money he was giving me and taking credit of my whole design. The best part is I do not have any certifications such as what he has.

Sorry for sharing a long story though. Hahaha. Rolleyes

Bottom-line, Sweets is right. Having a certification and possessing the right skill should be balanced to show that you really are a professional in the field you want to explore and to show that you really are a professional and certified to do stuffs on your own and in front of a vast audience (e.g. clients, companies, talks that you will get invited if you ever get famous outside of this realm, and many more). Big Grin

Certifications are not considered as medals or trophies that once you have obtained it, you no longer have to  study it. It is somewhat like a token of inspiration that will lead you to open doors which will enhance your skills and further more test your capabilities and limits. Wink
I know it's kinda comparing Apples to Oranges but in the software development community, people are generally like get CS Degree there are no certificates, however if you have a good CV/resume and perform well in the technical interview you can get a job as software developer. I assume similar things have happened in the information security industry.
I've been wanting to get CompTIA Linux+ for a while. But I don't have any certs at the moment. They're not super important imo (skill is). I work as a sysadmin, so that's proof right?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Badly need seniors suggestion and help baldhead 3 718 05-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Email address cleaning and profiling illmanors 0 3,237 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Last Post: illmanors
  Would you describe yourself as a law abiding or ethical hacker and if so how much? QMark 7 4,703 05-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Last Post: EnigmaCookie
  Freebie and giveaway websites! Nerdie 2 4,826 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Brandonwheel