hey everyone, whats up?
Hi everyone,

I wanted to say hi. I am working on my CCENT and honestly I couldn't find a section on here for it. Where do I post about that exactly?

I'm trying to earn my CCNA and learn some basic linux so I can start my OSCP training and learn hacking while knowing what I'm doing. I want to learn enough networking and linux that I actually know wtf I'm doing.

So this is a grey hat forum? Does that mean we're all grey hats here?

I'm not yet ready to learn actual hacking, but I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm 22, almost 23.

I want to catch up to those who started when they were younger and be a decent hacker.

I finished the ICND1 course and now I'm just studying for the CCENT test and I'm totally lost on how to study for this. I have a study guide for professor messer and flash cards and I just don't know how to study for this.

Could someone help me study for my CCENT test?

Also, how do I catch up to people who started younger? I put a LOT of time into learning on my own.

I'm a college student but I'm taking two classes per semester in my computer info tech major starting this next semester for health purposes, but I love to learn on my own and I think that may actually be more valuable than school.

I want to be a good professional hacker.

By the way, how is everyone?
(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: Hi everyone,

I wanted to say hi. I am working on my CCENT and honestly I couldn't find a section on here for it. Where do I post about that exactly?
Yeah maybe here or the IT Discussion section. I will move it for you  Big Grin
https://greysec.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=30

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: I'm trying to earn my CCNA and learn some basic linux so I can start my OSCP training and learn hacking while knowing what I'm doing. I want to learn enough networking and linux that I actually know wtf I'm doing.
I finished the ICND1 course and now I'm just studying for the CCENT test and I'm totally lost on how to study for this. I have a study guide for professor messer and flash cards and I just don't know how to study for this.

Could someone help me study for my CCENT test?

Good luck with that my man, that's the attitude.
I personally don't have that certification, but here are some recommendations from people and a lot of sources for you to practice and learn:
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/88260

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: So this is a grey hat forum? Does that mean we're all grey hats here?

I'm not yet ready to learn actual hacking, but I thought I would introduce myself.
I'm 22, almost 23.

Hell no! I just find GreySec a great site for gathering information and the community is helpfull and friendly.
The information is NOT grey, black or white hat, what makes you a blackhat is the use you give to that info.

So welcome to GreySec!
I'm sure you will have fun here Smile

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: I want to catch up to those who started when they were younger and be a decent hacker.

Also, how do I catch up to people who started younger? I put a LOT of time into learning on my own.
I'm a college student but I'm taking two classes per semester in my computer info tech major starting this next semester for health purposes, but I love to learn on my own and I think that may actually be more valuable than school.

In my opinion that's a bad mindset in these fields... I think it's impossible to be the very best.
There will be always someone better than you in your field, however, take their experience and use it for your learning.
Good Luck with your degree and your pursuit in general. 
And... classes are important, but health is even more crucial. Take some time to rest if you need it.

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: By the way, how is everyone?

Haha, nice way to end a thread!  Big Grin 
I'm doing great, some forum posting and eating a bit.
(01-18-2018, 10:56 AM)enmafia2 Wrote: -snip to clear the thread-

Thanks bro. I'm not trying to be the best. My goal is to catch up to the average person who started in their mid to late teens would be good enough for me. I don't need to be the best.

Your a nice guy. If I am in this forum, does anyone care what hat color you are? I think we can all learn from honesty and I think that also means not sugarcoating everything to all be white hat like they do in other forums so that everything has to have the label of being "white hat." I like this forum regardless since it doesn't appear dead like Hack Forums is. I love HF too but honestly I need to expand my forum experience. You know what I'm saying?

Thanks so much lol.
(01-18-2018, 07:08 PM)fogbright Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 10:56 AM)enmafia2 Wrote: -snip to clear the thread-

Thanks bro. I'm not trying to be the best. My goal is to catch up to the average person who started in their mid to late teens would be good enough for me. I don't need to be the best.

Your a nice guy. If I am in this forum, does anyone care what hat color you are? I think we can all learn from honesty and I think that also means not sugarcoating everything to all be white hat like they do in other forums so that everything has to have the label of being "white hat." I like this forum regardless since it doesn't appear dead like Hack Forums is. I love HF too but honestly I need to expand my forum experience. You know what I'm saying?

Thanks so much lol.

Yeah lol, HF has some good content but it has so much shit the quality content gets lost.
And yeah, you can do whatever you want but you're responsible for your actions.
Hi, welcome to GreySec.

Regarding the CCENT test, if you have any questions, you are welcome to ask me here or in PMs (or DM me on Twitter). I'm not certified at all, but networking is what I study in school, and I'm currently working on CCNP level material.

Cisco networking study guides: http://www.routeralley.com/guides.html
Networking cheat sheets: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/

Also, I see you mentioned HackForums -- there's only 1 gem for every thousand dense rocks in that community. I would recommend avoiding them since it's generally a bad crowd to be caught up with, they are very childishly malicious towards their own fellow members.

Considering that you are new to the game, I am going to give you some advice: don't share personally identifiable information. Hackers don't care about your age. Even if you aren't criminal, you should do what you can to prevent information leakage that could lead to you being doxed... especially if you're hanging around HF.
(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: Hi everyone,

Hello and welcome to GreySec! Smile CCENT sounds like a Cisco certificate right? Sorry I'm not too famillar with it (I'll leave Cypher too that stuff, haha). But if it's under Cisco my guess is that it would go under our "network security" section or Open It-Discussion (Current).

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: I'm trying to earn my CCNA and learn some basic linux so I can start my OSCP training and learn hacking while knowing what I'm doing. I want to learn enough networking and linux that I actually know wtf I'm doing.

Sounds good dude! Keep it up. I haven't done OSCP, but friends of mine has. All I can say is that it's a very practical exam/certificate. So I would recommend you do live challenges such as Capture the Flag, Wargames and others. You can check our small section for that "Wargames & Challenges". Although my guess that those kind of challenges does require certain knowledge too so I guess you taking CCNA is a pretty good idea.

Not speaking for myself but that's just how I've understood it from friends.

Here's an OSCP study guide:
https://jivoi.github.io/2015/06/19/oscp-prepare/
https://jivoi.github.io/2015/07/03/offen...bookmarks/

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: So this is a grey hat forum? Does that mean we're all grey hats here?

While this is a GreyHat forum, all that means is that GreyHat is where we put the line. I do not care if you are White Hat, Grey Hat or Blackhat Wink We're all here to have a good time and talk infosec. Your agenda is irrelevant to me :p Diversity... black, grey and white rainbow. Heh. As long as you don't cross certain lines like Carding/Spam etc. (See Rules for more details).  

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: I want to catch up to those who started when they were younger and be a decent hacker.

Yeah I feel ya. Same here. Except.. I did start young. But if you know me, I procastrinate a lot. Not very productive, something I gotta work on. But anyway, I think it might be good to have something to strive for but remember that comparing yourself to everyone else might not be the best idea either. No matter how much you learn, there will always be someone better Smile Just my two cents.  

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: I'm a college student but I'm taking two classes per semester in my computer info tech major starting this next semester for health purposes, but I love to learn on my own and I think that may actually be more valuable than school.

Awesome! I ought to start studying more too. I you want to self-learn computer science and stuff, this site is pretty useful: https://teachyourselfcs.com/

(01-18-2018, 05:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: By the way, how is everyone?

Tired, death by sleep deprivation. Time caught the best of me during a session of gaming.
I'm working on my CCENT studies right now. Just making flash cards of the stuff on the exam that I got wrong on the final exam for the ICND1 course (not actual CCENT exam). Yeah, its pretty cool. I think that at the minimum I need the experience behind the ICND1 course.

Training for CCDC, the Cyber Collegiate Defense Competition. Its something that many colleges compete in and its a team I am trying to make. Every school has its own blue team. Each blue team station has a team from a school. Each station has windows, linux, and cisco equipment. The goal of CCDC is to do the best job defending from the red team. There isn't a different red team from different schools because the red team is the top eight or ten or something best known white hat hackers on the west coast. They hack all the schools, as if they were black hats, and each blue team has to defend. The team that prevents and/or fixes the most attacks, damage, etc. wins.

Last year my school's team went to nationals and competed with Harvard and beat Berkeley. Its nuts.

To make the blue team I have to have two of three skills: cisco, linux, or windows. But for cisco I had to get to CCNA level knowledge to be useful to the team. Then, I have to do one other skill to complement my cisco and make myself useful. So, I am going to do linux essentials.

The team practice starts in June, so I have then to gain CCNA level networking knowledge and some basic linux knowledge too.

Almost done and almost ready to take the ICND1 course final to try and get over 80%. Wish me luck.