Is it ok if I want to be grey hat?
I have a number of things I want to do with my hacking skills when I gain them. I don't think they all 100% fit within the law. Is it ok to be grey hat?
Is it okay to rob a bank?
Is it okay to kill someone?
Is it okay to steal Staples from your office?

Is it moral? No
Is it legal? No

Should you do it? No
Is it profitable? Yes and that’s why people do it
You shouldn't break the law however as long as you aren't discussing it here we aren't going to stop you.
I wouldn't get caught up in the hat labels. Why? Because it's just that: a label.

It is my belief that we are all just men, some with more inflated egos than others. In year 126, a Caesar hired a man to follow him around and remind him that he was "just a man". His followers would regularly remind the Caesar of his greatness, but the Caesar was afraid of this inflating his ego, so with him was his slave, reminding him that he is only just a man.

Don't get caught up in the egoistic ways of defining yourself with a coloured label.

https://warriorpoetwisdom.com/2012/03/14/just-a-man/
My point is because its a forum called "greysec." Obviously its important not to go by labels.
(01-22-2018, 04:11 PM)Cypher Wrote: I wouldn't get caught up in the hat labels. Why? Because it's just that: a label.

It is my belief that we are all just men, some with more inflated egos than others. In year 126, a Caesar hired a man to follow him around and remind him that he was "just a man". His followers would regularly remind the Caesar of his greatness, but the Caesar was afraid of this inflating his ego, so with him was his slave, reminding him that he is only just a man.

Don't get caught up in the egoistic ways of defining yourself with a coloured label.

https://warriorpoetwisdom.com/2012/03/14/just-a-man/

Good advice.
(01-22-2018, 08:25 AM)fogbright Wrote: I have a number of things I want to do with my hacking skills when I gain them. I don't think they all 100% fit within the law. Is it ok to be grey hat?

I don't think you can answer that question like that? Arbitrarily, yes or no? Context matters and we all have our own ethics and morals. Mine is different to yours. 

Neither me or GreySec is here to police anyones thoughts. You can be a white hat, grey hat or black hat for all I care. It's your responsibility, not mine. We are simply here as likeminded individual to discuss infosec and pertaining topics. 

What your agenda is behind your posts is beyond my concern. It's okay to be GreyHat? Let me phrase it, just be yourself! :p I'm alright with it. Just beware of the risks, practise OPSEC.

Just don't step over the rules. Such as Financial fraud and more. 

(01-22-2018, 11:24 AM)enmafia2 Wrote: Is it okay to rob a bank?
Is it okay to kill someone?
Is it okay to steal Staples from your office?

Is it moral? No
Is it legal? No

Should you do it? No
Is it profitable? Yes and that’s why people do it

Hell yeah I would do it Smile Fuck banks, those rich elites have so much anyway. Hehe. But yeah context. In a more serious matter, I could never steal money from someone such as a single mother. 

Stealing money is dangerous business yeah, best to stay away.  

(01-22-2018, 02:59 PM)lunorian Wrote: You shouldn't break the law however as long as you aren't discussing it here we aren't going to stop you.

Maybe according to your ethics, but I'm fine with him posting whatevers within the bounds or our rules. We aren't exactly exclusively whitehat.

All is welcome, that was my idea when I started this forum. A place where your labels does not matter. We're all here to have a good time aren't we.

(01-22-2018, 08:09 PM)fogbright Wrote: My point is because its a forum called "greysec." Obviously its important not to go by labels.

Yeah. Although we don't exclusively condone or promote such. Just mean we are bit inbetween. See my first quote. It's fine, this forum does not care about labels.

That being said, if I were get a approached by law enforcement. Maybe this is a decicion I will have to make in the future. But so far, that future has not occured yet.
Of course it's ok to be a grey hat. But try not to get caught up on the wrong side of the law too often if you intend to work in security some day.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is there anything wrong with the terms "white hat," "black hat," or "grey hat" to you QMark 2 817 04-14-2020, 03:16 AM
Last Post: QMark
  Black/Grey Hatting Anonymous EnigmaCookie 8 5,422 04-10-2018, 09:35 PM
Last Post: sten0
  Black Hat USA, DEF CON, BSides LV Cypher 3 3,870 07-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Insider
  im new here, what are some of the things that go on at Grey Sec huntdog1950 1 3,393 12-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Atlas