sections I think we should have even if probably no one agrees with me
These are sections that the rest of the people here are probably going to disagree with but I'm posting them just in case one or two of them appears worth a damn to other people.

I know it sounds dumb but we honestly need a section for lockpicking. The mentality is similar to hacking.

I think we should have a section for hacktivism. I know it sounds like a bad idea, but I really like the idea.

We should have a section about hacker news, not just news about greysec because we have that already. I mean we should have a section for posting hacker news like 2600 articles, etc.

We clearly should have a subsection of the programming section for things that mix multiple languages, etc.

We should have a separate section for cryptography.

We should have a section for beginner hacking.

We should have a section for advanced hacking.

This one isn't a separate subforum but I think we should also host our own personal hacker wargames site. I'm not good enough to code those kinds of challenges right now but I'll bet there are people here who can do it.

So yeah, those are my ideas. I know you probably all think they are terrible but I posted anyways.

Thanks.

Best,

fogbright
(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: I know it sounds dumb but we honestly need a section for lockpicking. The mentality is similar to hacking.

I think we should have a section for hacktivism. I know it sounds like a bad idea, but I really like the idea.

I'm not going to add a section for the sake of mentality. I add a section if there's people who are willing to talk about it. So far I've seen no lockpicking threads or many hacktivism threads.

Hacktivism really is hacking with a political end goal right? Well post it in general hacking or whatever. Your agenda or motivation does not interest me or GreySec as we are purely here to discuss our mutual interests which is essentially infosec. And for the other case, if the hacktivism thread is more towards the philosophical or political discussion aspect they fit very well within Misc Discussion section.

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: We should have a section about hacker news, not just news about greysec because we have that already. I mean we should have a section for posting hacker news like 2600 articles, etc.

In my experience and from others I've heard. Usually ends up with a section with a lot of threads and not a lof of replies. People like to post news but not as much to discuss about it. In my opinion, all this will become is a copypaste section. Where people will copypaste news articles in bid for their post count.

However, something I have planned in the future. Is a GreySec newsletter. We can inlclude a small snippet of security news in there too. We'll see.

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: We clearly should have a subsection of the programming section for things that mix multiple languages, etc.

We already have two different sections for this:
https://greysec.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=17
https://greysec.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=28

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: We should have a separate section for cryptography.

We already have this section: https://greysec.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=27

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: We should have a section for beginner hacking.

I will not add a beginner hacking section. In my own experience this will often times end up being abused into becoming a section for people who are not willing to put up any effort on their own. Eg questions like "how to hack x?", "Can something hack this for me?" in other words stupid questions. And in other cases: a hotspot for script kiddies. And that is not helpful at all for newbies. I don't mean to shit on newbies but have you ever heard of induced demand? This section would only encourage those kind of threads. And it's easy to be overwhelmed with it and have it spill over to other sections. In the end ruining our atmosphere as a high quality forum.

Beginners can easily use any of our other sections, depending on the topic in question. Eg General Security and others. If they want to ask us more knowledgeable folks questions that's fine providing they are doing so the smart way: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html . We're not here to cater to people who want everything handed to them on a silverspoon. Spoonfeeding is never good, for anyone. 

But, these are only my thoughts and opinions. While I'm not likely to add this section. I'm willing to listen to what others think about it.

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: We should have a section for advanced hacking.

How would you define "advanced hacking"? This seems like kind of a silly idea to me. I don't care if your thread is advanced or not. You post the threads where it belongs. Networking in network security, malware analysis in reverse engineering, sql injection in web application hacking section .. etc. 

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: This one isn't a separate subforum but I think we should also host our own personal hacker wargames site. I'm not good enough to code those kinds of challenges right now but I'll bet there are people here who can do it.

We already have this section: https://greysec.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15

(02-03-2018, 08:51 AM)fogbright Wrote: So yeah, those are my ideas. I know you probably all think they are terrible but I posted anyways.

Thanks.

Best,

fogbright

Yeah some of these ideas were bad. I think you should have made some more research as to which of these ideas actually existed already. You've suggested quite a few sections that already exist. 

Just remember to think logically. Why and how this section will benefit GreySec. That being said, a suggestion is a suggestion. I'm open to everything, although I might not accept everything either.
What you consider advanced, I may consider beginner. What I might consider advanced (or at least well beyond my current skill set), someone else might scoff at. So there is no point in separating topics into skill levels. The topic is hacking. It's simple. Let's keep it that way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have a Gucci coat? LOSTINSAUCE 16 9,290 05-25-2020, 06:19 PM
Last Post: WendyMorris
  what do you guys think of the legalization of hackback? QMark 1 1,648 04-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  Why do bug bounty hunters on average have more skill? QMark 3 5,195 08-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Last Post: hworth
  do you think that psychology studies on hackers are bad? QMark 2 3,171 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Last Post: enmafia2