being an autistic and studying infoSec
I want to go into the infoSec community and I have autism. I'm wondering how autism plays into learning hacking. I figure it might be a little harder/easier for me to learn and I wanted to ask how well autistic people do in the areas of hacking and infoSec. How are people with autism in the infoSec/hacker community?

On a side note, I messaged someone and they thought I was trolling them. I have come off as inappropriate a number of times as a kid. I come off this way because of my autism. I wanted to let everyone know if I come off inappropriate that it's because of my autism and because I am really bad at saying the right thing. I apologize if I have offended anyone.
It depends on the type of autism. It's a broad spectrum. No one will know until you've tried. Ryan Cleary, I believe, had autism. Could be wrong and too lazy to verify haha.
I don't know man, "autism" feels more like a *chan meme than a mental disorder at this point. But that is probably because i spend way too much time on the internet.
Autism can both be an advantage and disadvantage from what I hear. You can easily just focus on something if it's really caught your interest. I know a guy with autism, he may suck on many things but for example, he's best at math in his class.

But with that being said, the social aspect is something that I guess you might struggle with. But the way I see it, nothing is impossible if you're willing to put up hard work. I have a friend with autism and he's even way more social than me.

The social skills is nothing you are born with, but rather something you have to train and maintain. Maybe it's harder if you have autism but it is my belief you can still try it.
(02-15-2018, 11:51 AM)Insider Wrote: Autism can both be an advantage and disadvantage from what I hear. You can easily just focus on something if it's really caught your interest. I know a guy with autism, he may suck on many things but for example, he's best at math in his class.

But with that being said, the social aspect is something that I guess you might struggle with. But the way I see it, nothing is impossible if you're willing to put up hard work. I have a friend with autism and he's even way more social than me.

The social skills is nothing you are born with, but rather something you have to train and maintain. Maybe it's harder if you have autism but it is my belief you can still try it.

Good advice. Thanks.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-13916090

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...sed-autism

Confirmed.
(02-16-2018, 02:41 PM)stealth Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-13916090

Confirmed.

I read the second article, not the first because I'm having internet connection issues. But honestly, that does sound encouraging.

Thanks.
Well, I heard of a person who got access to the CIA's top access... and he has autism
not sure to be honest, might be just the lawyers trying to protect him this way
(02-18-2018, 06:11 PM)miker2808 Wrote: Well, I heard of a person who got access to the CIA's top access... and he has autism
not sure to be honest, might be just the lawyers trying to protect him this way

There's various hackers who make that claim.
(02-15-2018, 05:47 PM)fogbright Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 11:51 AM)Insider Wrote: Autism can both be an advantage and disadvantage from what I hear. You can easily just focus on something if it's really caught your interest. I know a guy with autism, he may suck on many things but for example, he's best at math in his class.

Good advice. Thanks.

I'd second that.... Autistic Spectrum Disorders are along a very wide spectrum. I don't think it's a good question to ask weather autism itself is an advantage or disadvantage as the label simply implies personality traits and we are all along the spectrum somewhere. The relevant question should be weather a person uses the specific traits of their personality regardless of what they are to their advantage. For example, people not classed with an ASD may find certain social skills come naturally whereas people with an ASD may have spent some time studying social aspects and because of this having learnt a lot about the subject which may make them adept at social engineering and the like because of having studied and learnt about personality traits of others but not acting or reacting in ways expected by others themselves. Other things for example attention to detail and effortless concentration on very specific subject areas are another element as well as the ability or (rather natural tendency) to think laterally. Concentration in other subject not of specific interest, or having to multi-task for example may be areas that pose difficulty... or where there is ambiguity or unclear instruction. It also has downsides in that it can affect learning in some ways if material is presented in a way that is expected for a person to think a certain way, and this I think is the importance of places like this which has a wide variety of people from all walks of life who all learn in different ways and have something to contribute. I'd say the same applies to people who are dyslexic or have forms of ADHD, or anything else for that matter. It's not the condition or the diagnosis thereof that is an advantage or disadvantage but how the individual applies whatever their personality and skills are that is important.

(02-16-2018, 07:19 PM)fogbright Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 02:41 PM)stealth Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-13916090

Confirmed.

I read the second article, not the first because I'm having internet connection issues. But honestly, that does sound encouraging.

Thanks.

Bear in mind that these should not be role models... as another member in this thread stated the label is often used by lawyers as a means of mitigation to lessen sentences, but certainly does not make you immune from the law. I certainly don't think the condition will hinder you if you are wanting to get into the field of IT security however, think about what it is you are wanting to achieve, what colour hat to wear (white/grey/black), and your motivations behind this. Whatever it is you decide don't let the label or condition or whatever you want to call it define you, make use of whatever traits happen to be part of your skillset or personality to achieve what it is you want.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what's the difference between an Ethernet address and a MAC address? QMark 6 947 07-20-2020, 08:30 PM
Last Post: QMark
  Badly need seniors suggestion and help baldhead 3 1,137 05-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Email address cleaning and profiling illmanors 0 3,577 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Last Post: illmanors
  Would you describe yourself as a law abiding or ethical hacker and if so how much? QMark 7 5,367 05-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Last Post: EnigmaCookie