how to get an updated wifi driver for Ubuntu?
So when I restarted the network manager on Ubuntu to fix something, the wifi for my school stopped working.

Then I was talking about it with someone and they essentially said I needed to update my driver.

So I googled it and found that someone had asked a few years ago here:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions...1e-930658/

and he got the driver and instructions to update the driver here and here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...Down=false

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42324

But when I downloaded it, these were the instructions I followed from the text file within the tar folder I unpacked:

Code:
<Linux device driver for Realtek Ethernet controllers>

This is the Linux device driver released for RealTek RTL8101E, RTL8102E(L) and RTL8103E(L), the Fast Ethernet controller with PCI-Express interface.

<Requirements>

- kernel source tree (supported Linux kernel 2.6.x and 2.4.x)
- For linux kernel 2.4.x, this driver supports linux kernel 2.4.20 and latter.
- compiler/binutils for kernel compilation

<Quick install with proper kernel settings>
Unpack the tarball :
# tar vjxf r8101-1.aaa.bb.tar.bz2

Change to the directory:
# cd r8101-1.aaa.bb

If you are running the target kernel, then you should be able to do :

# ./autorun.sh (as root or with sudo)

You can check whether the driver is loaded by using following commands.

# lsmod | grep r8101
# ifconfig -a

If there is a device name, ethX, shown on the monitor, the linux 
driver is loaded. Then, you can use the following command to activate 
the ethX.

# ifconfig ethX up

,where X=0,1,2,...

<Set the network related information>
1. Set manually
a. Set the IP address of your machine.

# ifconfig ethX "the IP address of your machine" 

b. Set the IP address of DNS.

Insert the following configuration in /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver "the IP address of DNS"

c. Set the IP address of gateway.

# route add default gw "the IP address of gateway"

2. Set by doing configurations in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
   /ifcfg-ethX for Redhat and Fedora, or /etc/sysconfig/network
   /ifcfg-ethX for SuSE. There are two examples to set network 
   configurations.

a. Fixed IP address:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
GATEWAY=192.168.1.254
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

b. DHCP:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

<Modify the MAC address>
There are two ways to modify the MAC address of the NIC.
1. Use ifconfig:

# ifconfig ethX hw ether YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

,where X is the device number assigned by Linux kernel, and
  YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY is the MAC address assigned by the user.

2. Use ip:

# ip link set ethX address YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

,where X is the device number assigned by Linux kernel, and
  YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY is the MAC address assigned by the user.

<Force Link Status>

1. Force the link status when insert the driver.

If the user is in the path ~/r8101, the link status can be forced 
   to one of the 4 modes as following command.

# insmod ./src/r8101.ko speed=SPEED_MODE duplex=DUPLEX_MODE autoneg=NWAY_OPTION

,where
SPEED_MODE = 100 for 100Mbps
= 10 for 10Mbps
DUPLEX_MODE = 0 for half-duplex
= 1 for full-duplex
NWAY_OPTION = 0 for auto-negotiation off (true force)
= 1 for auto-negotiation on (nway force)
For example:

# insmod ./src/r8101.ko speed=100 duplex=0 autoneg=1

will force PHY to operate in 100Mpbs Half-duplex(nway force).

2. Force the link status by using ethtool.
a. Insert the driver first.
b. Make sure that ethtool exists in /sbin.
c. Force the link status as the following command.

# ethtool -s ethX speed SPEED_MODE duplex DUPLEX_MODE autoneg NWAY_OPTION

,where
SPEED_MODE = 100 for 100Mbps
= 10 for 10Mbps
DUPLEX_MODE = half for half-duplex
= full for full-duplex
NWAY_OPTION = off for auto-negotiation off (true force)
= on for auto-negotiation on (nway force)

For example:

# ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg on

will force PHY to operate in 100Mpbs Full-duplex(nway force).

<Jumbo Frame>
RTL8101E, RTL8102E and RTL8103E do not support Jumbo Frame.

and yet my wifi still isn't working on most of the wifi networks that my school has to offer except one of them, the less secure one.

Would someone on here please help me to get the wifi working again? Thanks.
If this happened just because you restarted the network-manager, and it was working fine before, it's unlikely to be a driver issue.

You've probably made it a lot worse by installing these drivers. You haven't told us the hardware you're running for your wifi, so we can't even confirm if you've installed the right driver for your device.

Quote:and yet my wifi still isn't working on most of the wifi networks that my school has to offer except one of them, the less secure one.

Darn. I missed this sentence.

If the Wifi IS working, then it's not broken is it? If you can connect to some wifi points, then your driver and wifi card are obviously working 100%, this is likely to be a network issue. It could be a problem with the wifi points, or your device.
(03-27-2018, 07:37 AM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: If this happened just because you restarted the network-manager, and it was working fine before, it's unlikely to be a driver issue.

You've probably made it a lot worse by installing these drivers. You haven't told us the hardware you're running for your wifi, so we can't even confirm if you've installed the right driver for your device.

Quote:and yet my wifi still isn't working on most of the wifi networks that my school has to offer except one of them, the less secure one.

If the Wifi IS working, then it's not broken is it? If you can connect to some wifi points, then your driver and wifi card are obviously working 100%, this is likely to be a network issue. It could be a problem with the wifi points, or your device.

But it's my school's wifi network.
(03-27-2018, 03:45 PM)fogbright Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 07:37 AM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: If this happened just because you restarted the network-manager, and it was working fine before, it's unlikely to be a driver issue.

All I'm saying is that this is unlikely to be a driver issue. There are lots of other issues, and it could be a problem their end. Check your interface comfiguration and see whether you are getting an IP address or not.
(03-27-2018, 04:18 PM)EnigmaCookie Wrote:

All I'm saying is that this is unlikely to be a driver issue. There are lots of other issues, and it could be a problem their end. Check your interface comfiguration and see whether you are getting an IP address or not.

Also, if it's the school's network you could just ask them if they are encountering any problems with that hotspot.

I get all the right interfaces in Ubuntu but not in my VMs. What do I do about this?

Thanks.
(03-27-2018, 06:58 PM)fogbright Wrote:

I get all the right interfaces in Ubuntu but not in my VMs. What do I do about this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure you really understand what's happening on a network level when you talk about your Ubuntu interfaces and the VMs.

Your virtual machines use virtualised NICs to establish a 'physical' connection to the network. You don't need to know the hardcore mechanics of Software Defined Networks, but basically, you expose a hardware interface to the hypervisor, which will (generally) bridge the connection between the physical NIC and the virtual one. This would be a very basic example.

If you aren't seeing network interfaces on your VM, it could be because you haven't properly configured the hypervisor to expose your hardware devices.

Again, you haven't given us any info about your setup, so it's difficult to give a more indepth response; and, in any case, I suggest you read up more about networking and VMs to get a better idea of what's involved. For networking start researching the 7 Layers of the OSI Model, and then try see if you can identify the difference between Layer 2 and Layer 3 switches... Then look at IP, and get familiar with the differences between TCP, UDP, and ICMP.

For VMs, just read up on some general introductions, like this: https://medium.freecodecamp.org/a-beginn...9a9e3e119b

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LAMP, LDAP, and PostFix, Ubuntu VM security and monitoring measures? QMark 4 3,909 04-26-2019, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Insider
  How to Get HQ Backlinks on The Envato Market Cryptography 1 5,981 03-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Last Post: jackluter
  How-To Get New YouTube Player Theme! Cryptography 2 4,718 06-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Cryptography