Your Stories
So... I've very recently decided that I need to get out of the IT profession.

I can't be around technology, I'm just going to get myself in to trouble.

What will I do instead? I was thinking I'd put my English Lit degree to use and become a copywriter/journalist.

I've been wanting to do a journalistic piece of people who have been accused of IT-related crimes (whether guilty or innocent) and basically examine the issues unique to this method of offending compared to the more 'traditional' crimes. Obviously this is something I am already very biased about, but I want to hear what other people's stories are.

No need to go on the record, anyone who wants to talk can stay anonymous.

If you want to reach out, please DM me here and I'l provide a secure means of chatting. I'll get round to posting my PGP key here as well to secure that initial message.

You'd really be helping me out if you did want to come forward! I need some content to pad my CV in this area, and this is something I am already very engaged with and can give anyone a chance to express how they feel and have their say.
(04-26-2018, 11:57 AM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: I can't be around technology, I'm just going to get myself in to trouble.

Why? Do you doubt your own self-control?

(04-26-2018, 11:57 AM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: What will I do instead? I was thinking I'd put my English Lit degree to use and become a copywriter/journalist.

Anyhow I think that's a great idea, although you mentioned you're a little bit biased in this matter. I would try to get rid of all prejudices, consider all points of view (even those you might have despised at some point) and just tell facts.

Good luck on your new adventure!
(04-26-2018, 03:35 PM)on10nZ Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:57 AM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: I can't be around technology, I'm just going to get myself in to trouble.

Why? Do you doubt your own self-control?

Unfortunately, yes. I feel like I'm playing with fire by staying so close to technology. Unlike 'traditional' crimes, committing an IT crime can be as easy as typing a bad url in on your web browser... I struggle with identifying the consequences of my actions before I act, and it's so easy to do that with IT. It's much harder to act on your thoughts when you actually have to get up out of your chair and do something....

(04-26-2018, 11:57 AM)on10nZ Wrote: Anyhow I think that's a great idea, although you mentioned you're a little bit biased in this matter. I would try to get rid of all prejudices, consider all points of view (even those you might have despised at some point) and just tell facts.

Yup. I intend to have an angle, but it will be informed by the facts from whoever I can interview. I've studied journalism and creative non-fiction a reasonable amount, which is why I think it's a good non-IT option for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Ebooks] When feds bust down your door [Evasion.. etc] Insider 3 5,567 05-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Last Post: thunder011
  is a code academy subscription worth it in your view? QMark 1 2,875 04-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Vector
  Starting your InfoSec career as a student Cypher 1 4,864 02-19-2018, 04:12 AM
Last Post: acolyte
  What's Your Username in Binary? Cryptography 9 8,368 06-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Last Post: NO-OP