What kind of place do you get an IT apprenticeship at?
So I want to find places like this around my area. I know people don’t know my area but what kind of place do I get an IT apprenticeship at? I mean besides an iPhone repair shop. Thanks.
(05-06-2018, 04:26 PM)QMark Wrote: So I want to find places like this around my area. I know people don’t know my area but what kind of place do I get an IT apprenticeship at? I mean besides an iPhone repair shop. Thanks.

Well not too sure about apprenticeship, but by far the most traditional IT internships would be with Deloitte, PwC, etc. These sort of things are usually very competitive, so make sure you really know how to market yourself before applying.

It completely depends on what area of IT you want to get into though! There are so many... software development, security, auditing, procurement, administration, management, governance & risk...
Start by looking for an internship or co-op job placement opportunity. You have mentioned that you are a college student, so take advantage of that; you have the necessary school email and the academic title to work to your advantage.

I would recommend looking for local conferences (try bsides, local DEFCON chapters, etc.), and go there with the intent of self-marketing to find employment opportunities - skip the talks. Talk to different people, vendors, etc., because many of them have the potential to hire you into their companies. When you are at these conferences, focus your efforts on professional networking and subtly selling yourself to employers; you can think of job-seeking as a social engineering campaign, really. This is how I found my student job opportunity; I now work at a consulting company along the lines of Deloitte/PwC/etc, as EnigmaCookie mentioned.

When it comes to finding a job, you will need a balance between personal branding and technical expertise. You will need both, not one or the other. If you can talk-the-talk, but can't walk-the-walk, you may get the interview, but you will not get the job. If you can walk-the-walk, but can't talk-the-talk, you may not get the interview when you could have gotten the job.

For more information about personal branding, I wrote this article that I highly recommend you read, as it contains all of my little "tips and tricks" for aspiring students: https://www.alienvault.com/blogs/securit...to-another
(05-06-2018, 06:49 PM)Cypher Wrote: When it comes to finding a job, you will need a balance between personal branding and technical expertise. You will need both, not one or the other. If you can talk-the-talk, but can't walk-the-walk, you may get the interview, but you will not get the job. If you can walk-the-walk, but can't talk-the-talk, you may not get the interview when you could have gotten the job.

Unfortunately I work alongside waaaaay too many people who are all talk. They are some of the most ineffective security professionals I have ever met, but know how to brand themselves and have all the qualifications they need.

...Annoying for me to deal with, but I guess if the aim of live is to do the least amount of work for the most reward, they've got a pretty good thing going...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did you find GreySec? Insider 14 8,664 08-30-2020, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Sorry
  where can I go to access content you can't post elsewhere? QMark 8 5,120 08-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Last Post: QMark
  how to get Telnet working on this network? QMark 16 4,834 07-02-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: QMark
  What are you currently listening to? Vi-Sion 21 15,142 06-25-2020, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Insider