What are some of the most efficient ways to learn how to hack into residential WiFi's
I have 0 WiFi hacking knowledge but I do have overall strong skill in computers so I should learn faster than the average human. I'm only interesting in hacking into WiFi's because of OpSec reasons. Maybe by learning this I may develop a passion. I understand there is DuckDuckGo to find answers to this. I have researched on there but I'm on here asking as well because the amount of users on GreySec that are HQ and know their shit is very, very dense. I understand by reading around the forum (which I do on a binge) you will learn as well, but most of the time it doesn't make sense because I'm fresh. I don't think anyone on here has asked this question either so if a newcomer comes along and wants to learn more about WiFi hacking, you can point them to this thread.

Anyways, the question is:
What are some of the most efficient ways to learn how to hack into residential WiFi's?

Thank you for the answers and have a great day!

~ Lucy77x77
You've said you've done some research, and that's good, but you need to provide more evidence of that before asking questions. This is not just because I want you to prove what you've done, but because you need to know what your question actually is - at the moment, you don't.

Nearly all residential households use WiFi for their networking needs. I would say that nearly all those households are using WPA2 authentication... So why don't you start by looking at what WPA2 is and what some known attacks are?

If you're using WPA2 to authentication against a network point, then maybe one attack could be to do just that! How you do that depends on how good your OSINT skills are. If you know nothing about your target, then you'll have to just brute force. If you know lots about your target, then maybe you already have their credentials!

Another form of attack is basically exactly the same, but works at a lower level and allows you to do your processing offline. It involves capturing the handshake between client and AP, and then basically guess the password.

No offence here, but I really hate when people ask questions like this. It assumes there is some secret back door into systems that everyone uses everyday, and all you have to do is ask random strangers who tell you what to look for. The world doesn't work like this, especially the IT world.

Whilst advanced Comp Sci researchers and nationstates are investing tonnes of time and money into finding flaws, the reality is that the pen testing community basically relies on smart people to do all the work, and then they figure out how to make it operational... At which point the problem is already patched, and you have to focus on targets that are a bit slow.

There is no magic door into WiFi points. It's like every other system, it requires time, patiences, research skills, and motivation.

I would say a good starting point would be to do some REAL research. I mean, c'mon, you can just google "how to hack wifi" and it'll tell you much more than what I've already covered off - so there is literally no excuse. And we're very happy to help if you have a specific issue or complex problem, but please put in some effort first.

Because there are no magic doors, if you're seriously thinking about "hack into resedential WiFI", you need to focus on a target. And to be honest, the best way to do this is to break into a house, access or steal their computer, and extract the WiFi password from it. The easiest way to hack systems is almost always non-technical.

I mean try social engineering. You ring someone's doorbell and give them a sob story about how you just live next door and you're about to go for a job interview but you're computer has died and you just moved in so you have no internet and you need to get the address and contact person for the interviewer to tell them you'll be running late, only their details are stuck on my online mail - "can you please give me the wifi password, or just type it in I'll delete it afterwards. Please? We're neighbours after all!"

You wanted the most efficient way to hack residential WiFis, well, there, that's it.

But if you try this blind, you will most likely fail. Instead do your research. WHO is this neighbour, is he a boy/girl, how old, does he have any interests, where's his Facebook page, does he speak English, does he/she have a daughter/son, if so, how old? Are they hot, are YOU hot - if so, use that and try flirting the password out of them - but see if you can find their sexual orientation first or this can fail (or have a backup plan).

Basically, and again no offence (I'm being purposely crude to get my point across), get of your ass and start doing research.
(05-07-2018, 11:56 PM)EnigmaCookie Wrote: You've said you've done some research, and that's good, but you need to provide more evidence of that before asking questions. This is not just because I want you to prove what you've done, but because you need to know what your question actually is - at the moment, you don't.

Nearly all residential households use WiFi for their networking needs. I would say that nearly all those households are using WPA2 authentication... So why don't you start by looking at what WPA2 is and what some known attacks are?

If you're using WPA2 to authentication against a network point, then maybe one attack could be to do just that! How you do that depends on how good your OSINT skills are. If you know nothing about your target, then you'll have to just brute force. If you know lots about your target, then maybe you already have their credentials!

Another form of attack is basically exactly the same, but works at a lower level and allows you to do your processing offline. It involves capturing the handshake between client and AP, and then basically guess the password.

No offence here, but I really hate when people ask questions like this. It assumes there is some secret back door into systems that everyone uses everyday, and all you have to do is ask random strangers who tell you what to look for. The world doesn't work like this, especially the IT world.

Whilst advanced Comp Sci researchers and nationstates are investing tonnes of time and money into finding flaws, the reality is that the pen testing community basically relies on smart people to do all the work, and then they figure out how to make it operational... At which point the problem is already patched, and you have to focus on targets that are a bit slow.

There is no magic door into WiFi points. It's like every other system, it requires time, patiences, research skills, and motivation.

I would say a good starting point would be to do some REAL research. I mean, c'mon, you can just google "how to hack wifi" and it'll tell you much more than what I've already covered off - so there is literally no excuse. And we're very happy to help if you have a specific issue or complex problem, but please put in some effort first.

Because there are no magic doors, if you're seriously thinking about "hack into resedential WiFI", you need to focus on a target. And to be honest, the best way to do this is to break into a house, access or steal their computer, and extract the WiFi password from it. The easiest way to hack systems is almost always non-technical.

I mean try social engineering. You ring someone's doorbell and give them a sob story about how you just live next door and you're about to go for a job interview but you're computer has died and you just moved in so you have no internet and you need to get the address and contact person for the interviewer to tell them you'll be running late, only their details are stuck on my online mail - "can you please give me the wifi password, or just type it in I'll delete it afterwards. Please? We're neighbours after all!"

You wanted the most efficient way to hack residential WiFis, well, there, that's it.

But if you try this blind, you will most likely fail. Instead do your research. WHO is this neighbour, is he a boy/girl, how old, does he have any interests, where's his Facebook page, does he speak English, does he/she have a daughter/son, if so, how old? Are they hot, are YOU hot - if so, use that and try flirting the password out of them - but see if you can find their sexual orientation first or this can fail (or have a backup plan).

Basically, and again no offence (I'm being purposely crude to get my point across), get of your ass and start doing research.

Thank you for this awesome reply! By the most efficient starting point, I meant sources. For example, in the website development community, some people recommend following courses while others recommend to read books. It wasn't a "hold my hand" type question. It was more of a "what is my first step" type question. From there, I'd be able to do all of my research then of course come to GS if I run into issues. I do know the basics of networking and WPA2. And of course there isn't a hidden secret. I despise that type of character. There is a more than a million ways to make $1M. Of course, some of more efficient than others. I was interested in hearing this communities input. I am sorry for the lack of details. My original plan was to social engineer my way into passwords because that is what I am good at. I know about bruteforcing, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way for WiFi hacking specifically. Also, my neighbor has an open network. As far as OpSec goes, is there any point in using it for security purposes? I'm sure the LE knows to knock on the next door when there is interesting activity.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why won't it let me copy tftp into flash from CISCO router to server? QMark 1 2,435 06-01-2020, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Insider
  How far does wifi pineapple reach? QMark 4 7,873 03-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  What other ways are there to capture passwords on an open network besides sniffers? QMark 5 7,734 06-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  Denying Someone's Device from a Public WiFi nats 0 4,965 06-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Last Post: nats