[Tutorial] How To: Install Debian 9 (Stretch)
How To Install Debian 9 (Stretch)
*This was a tutorial I posted on my forums but I moved it here.

Introduction

Today I'm choosing to install the non-free image, that make things easier on systems requiring proprietary but redistributable firmware.

64-bit download: Firmware-9.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
32-bit download: Firmware-9.5.0-i386-netinst.iso

Beginning Installation

- Once you've downloaded the proper image, use a 3rd party software to burn it to a CD or USB. I chose to burn mine to a USB using Rufus.
- When the bootable media is created, make sure it's inserted in the system you wish to install Debian on. Restart and select your device the bootable media from your boot menu. You may have to press a key like F12 to trigger the menu.

- You should see this screen. Proceed by selecting Graphical install.

[Image: Qh7v67M.png]

- Select your language, location, and keyboard layout as prompted. Afterwards, click Continue, and you should see the installer load components.

[Image: sp92X6R.png]

Installation Configurations

- Next, you'll have to configure some things. It'll prompt you to enter a hostname. Enter whatever you want your system to be recognized as.

[Image: TqStx25.png]

- Unless the domain name is already provided for you, I suggest leaving it blank and clicking Continue.

- Create and set a password for the root account. I suggest you enter a complex password. Confirm password twice and click Continue.

- You should be prompted to 'Set up users and passwords' so begin by entering a name for your new account and click Continue.

- Set a username, click Continue. Create and set a password. Verify twice, and click Continue.

- Select your correct time zone and click Continue.

Partitioning

- This is probably the most important part of installing the system. Please read very carefully. Images used in this section are from the Debian 8 installation but the settings are the same and are used for emphasis.

Quote:Guided – use entire disk: Uses full disk and creates simple partitions (without LVM) for OS installation.
Guided – use entire disk and set up LVM: Uses full disk and creates partitions on top of LVM.
Guided – use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM: Uses full disk and creates partitions on top encrypted LVM.
Manual: Use this to create partitions of your choice. This partitioning method is for advanced users. You can also use this method to retain your previous operating systems as well as your data if you partition correctly.

- In this tutorial, we're going to go with 'Guided - use entire disk'

[Image: Q8Wy11f.png]

- Choose the disk you want to partition and click Continue.

- Choose 'All files in one partition (recommended for new users)' and click Continue.

- Choose 'Finish partitioning and write changes to disk' and click Continue.

[Image: NX3NR4T.png]

- One that is complete, the installation will begin with the base system.

[Image: ndhv7HP.png]

Wrapping Up

- It may take a few moments for the base system to get installed but once that is complete, you'll be prompted to configure just a few more things.

- If the installer asks you to scan another installation CD or DVD, just select No and move on.

- Choose 'No' to use a network mirror.

- Choose 'No' to participate in survey.

- Choose additional software you'd like to install. I personally chose a web server and the Xfce desktop environment.

[Image: 6OKyIZU.png]

- The installer will then install software for you.

[Image: Pz5eLRR.png]

- Once that completes, you'll be asked to install the GRUB Boot Loader. Choose Yes.

[Image: Xq4fNh2.png]

- Then select the partition or disk you'd like the boot loader on.

[Image: ciplgdO.png]

- You now have completed the installation of Debian 9. Click 'Continue' to restart your system.

[Image: o17zrn5.png]

Conclusion & References

Now that you have Debian 9 installed on your system, there are going to be some things you're going to have to do before diving right in to the use of your fresh Linux distro.

Take note that network and display drivers are going to need to be installed for proper and optimized functionality.

Click here for a step-by-step guide on important things you should do after installing Debian 9.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] "BootMGR is missing" after Debian 9 Install system32 4 5,594 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Last Post: system32
  Basic Security Practises [Harden Debian 8.0] Insider 3 6,947 02-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: k1tsune
  Finally Upgraded to Debian NO-OP 7 7,050 08-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Last Post: Insider
  (Debian) The Paranoid #! Security Guide Insider 2 12,373 07-25-2017, 04:51 AM
Last Post: hotmagnet