Asking questions the GreySec Way: Guidelines for making high quality questions.
Asking questions the GreySec Way: Guidelines for making high quality questions.
Inspired by How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

As I sometimes lately see some people when making threads on GreySec asking questions, making requests etc. I've decided to make kind of some guidelines for you, to keep these threads of high quality. And so that we can help you much better. No offence to you, I'm just making this for the sake of everyone.

Mindset

Rule of thumb here is put in the effort you want back. If you make a bad thread with no effort, no decent questions etc. Then we will do the same, I'll either ignore your thread or tell you to go back to google and try again. Remember that GreySec is not your personal army or personal it support. If you have a question or request: We expect you in return to first put up the effort to figure out this on your own. Try to troubleshoot your own question, try to find this thing you're looking for; before coming here. That way we won't have to waste anyones time.

Some guidelines:

RTFM / STFW: Read The Fucking Manual / Search The Fucking Web
Or the polite way to say it: Google is your friend! We don't spoon-feed you here on a silver plate. There's certain etiquettes I expect you to follow here if I'm to show you any respect. One of them being basic research.
To expand this more:

- Search the web
* Use tactics like searching for the text/error message in google. More often than not maybe you will find other who've had similar problems. Good example is stackoverflow. Or maybe you can get taken directly to the documentation of the tool you're using.

- Search on the forum
* In many cases in my experience, at least on other forums. People ask and post things that already exist. Be sure to search the forum, maybe you will find something useful!

- Read the documentation
* Be sure to read the documentation regarding the tool you're using. For example: Having trouble installing a linux distro? More often than not, these operating systems have very detailed wikis and documentations for this. A more concrete example is arch linux. They have a very extensive documentation with a lot of information! More often than not, your solution to your problem is there.

Other than researching your problem: You can try troubleshooting it yourself. I.E if you are a programmer; try reading the source code. Try to experiment with different variables and parameters. See if you can reproduce this problem. Analyze the problem! If the first thing you do when you have a problem is to post here rather than trying on your own, then you're not the kind of member I want here. I want smart people who can think of themself before asking for help.

Some excerpts from smart-questions:

Quote:When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers.

Take your time
Do not expect to be able to solve a complicated problem with a few seconds of Googling. Read and understand the FAQs, sit back, relax and give the problem some thought before approaching experts. Trust us, they will be able to tell from your questions how much reading and thinking you did, and will be more willing to help if you come prepared. Don't instantly fire your whole arsenal of questions just because your first search turned up no answers (or too many).

Prepare your question
Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at all. The more you do to demonstrate that having put thought and effort into solving your problem before seeking help, the more likely you are to actually get help.

Beware of asking the wrong question
If you ask one that is based on faulty assumptions, J. Random Hacker is quite likely to reply with a uselessly literal answer while thinking “Stupid question...”, and hoping the experience of getting what you asked for rather than what you needed will teach you a lesson.

Never assume you are entitled to an answer
You are not; you aren't, after all, paying for the service. You will earn an answer, if you earn it, by asking a substantial, interesting, and thought-provoking question — one that implicitly contributes to the experience of the community rather than merely passively demanding knowledge from others.
Thanks Insider, this is very much needed.
Also posting this here, I think it is relevant to the subject.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greysec is back. And here to stay. Insider 17 5,548 06-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Vector
  GreySec Contest - May 2020 Insider 17 2,413 06-10-2020, 10:03 AM
  GreySec Github Launch Insider 5 7,389 04-23-2018, 12:31 AM
  GreySec Ebook/Data Resource Pool (Tor/Hidden Service) Insider 15 13,232 03-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Skygo