can someone explain this Ubuntu error?
MariaDB is having problems installing and I need to install it for my OS class:

Code:
root@adam-Inspiron-5558:/home/adam/Desktop/mariadb-10.3.9-ubuntu-bionic-amd64-debs# sudo systemctl stop mariadb.service
root@adam-Inspiron-5558:/home/adam/Desktop/mariadb-10.3.9-ubuntu-bionic-amd64-debs# sudo systemctl start mariadb.service

Job for mariadb.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.
See "systemctl status mariadb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Could you help install it?
Can you give the output of systemctl status mariadb.service ?

Edit: Quick read on it, seems like MariaDB (version 10.1.10+) is using systemd instead of init.d (via systemctl) like you've done here. Try doing:

sudo service mysql start

or

sudo service mariadb

(mysql is an alias for mariadb at this point from what I know, if you have it installed)
The job timed out because the service (systemctl or init.d) isn't connecting. The journalctl thing is basically a log of all the data and why it fails. In order to figure out the issue you should reinstall mariadb:

sudo su
sudo apt-get remove --purge mariadb
sudo apt-get install mariadb

From there figure it out and Google.
You might have a misconfiguration of MariaDB or be low-on/out-of RAM.
(09-22-2018, 09:52 PM)QMark Wrote: MariaDB is having problems installing and I need to install it for my OS class:

Code:
root@adam-Inspiron-5558:/home/adam/Desktop/mariadb-10.3.9-ubuntu-bionic-amd64-debs# sudo systemctl stop mariadb.service
root@adam-Inspiron-5558:/home/adam/Desktop/mariadb-10.3.9-ubuntu-bionic-amd64-debs# sudo systemctl start mariadb.service

Job for mariadb.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.
See "systemctl status mariadb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Could you help install it?

As ekultek said, the job has timed out as per the "...failed because a timeout was exceeded". If you post the results of "journalctl -xe" you'll get some more info on why the service failed and we can take a look.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My New Ubuntu Install! Cryptography 8 9,005 06-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Cryptography