Kali linux 2.0
One of the most complete pentester/hacker Linux distro, has arrived at its 2.0 version

Give it a try , and you'll love it.

DOWNLOAD PAGE
I wish they'd like make, a Kali Linux Core distro that does not come with everything automatically installed, allow us to pick and choose the apps we want to use.
(08-12-2015, 01:35 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I wish they'd like make, a Kali Linux Core distro that does not come with everything automatically installed, allow us to pick and choose the apps we want to use.

This. I've always found kali/backtrack to be very bloated usually with 2 or 3 tools to accomplish the same job. IMO you're better off starting out with a standard distro and building up the tools yourself, you can even go with Debian and install the kali repos
(08-12-2015, 09:56 AM)chmod Wrote:
(08-12-2015, 01:35 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I wish they'd like make, a Kali Linux Core distro that does not come with everything automatically installed, allow us to pick and choose the apps we want to use.

This. I've always found kali/backtrack to be very bloated usually with 2 or 3 tools to accomplish the same job. IMO you're better off starting out with a standard distro and building up the tools yourself, you can even go with Debian and install the kali repos
Yes, true, on Kali there are a lot of tools, and even different tools to do the same job, like chmod says, but I think this is his true strengths.
Almost all the best tools in one distro, and everything ready to use. Not really bad.
I'm talking about kali not as primary OS but as live cd, if you want to use it as primary OS I could agree that is better to add the kali repos and get only what you need.
You can install kali tools on a stock debian install by adding their repositories to

Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list

You can view the tools included on launchpad's website with installation directions here.
Kali linux is a useful platform, although I agree with the others. I often get a bunch of unessecary bloat that I won't even need, I think I will configure my own system from now on. Although I usually go with BackBox which is more lightweight (Also has native tor routing support to anonymize all of your traffic). Either that or get tools onto a whonix (Debian based) virtual machine with tor.

Either way, besides the ppa repositories that Polyphony has shared. There's also the Kali linux meta packages, where you can get a more lightweight collection of tools; as far as I know directly into debian. Refer to: https://www.kali.org/news/kali-linux-metapackages/
(08-14-2015, 02:14 AM)Insider Wrote: Although I usually go with BackBox which is more lightweight (Also has native tor routing support to anonymize all of your traffic).

Really like BackBox too, and didn't know nothing about the tor routing. Since when it was introduced ??
BTW I was upgrading my VM from Kali 1.10 to 2, but something goes wrong X(
Hope this will be the only case.....
Fedora with the security repos is more than enough for me, I get a daily OS that I can use to perform pen tests and if it isn't in the repo's I just install from source no fuss no bloat no edgy wallpapers
Related to thread, if you want more control. Just get the kali packages on your own clean debian install, this is a tool Sphinx shared with me a while ago. Thought I'd drop it in my thread, you can add kali tools to your OS with this script. Without the need to actually use kali https://github.com/LionSec/katoolin
(08-27-2015, 05:01 PM)Insider Wrote: Related to thread, if you want more control. Just get the kali packages on your own clean debian install, this is a tool Sphinx shared with me a while ago. Thought I'd drop it in my thread, you can add kali tools to your OS with this script. Without the need to actually use kali https://github.com/LionSec/katoolin

Interesting tool, but with all those os.system calls he would have been far better off just writing it as a bash script IMO and (Python) scripting apt-get installs seems a little over the top as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  root@kali:~# How To Make a Kali USB DeepLogic 2 3,280 04-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Last Post: DeepLogic
  Folder sharing between Linux and Windows overfl0wN 5 8,323 04-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  Using Kali Linux (And other systems) natively on Windows 10 without VM. Insider 2 3,613 03-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Last Post: enmafia2
  What OS or Linux distro is everyone using around here? Kontu 55 59,236 10-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Last Post: 6U4RD14N