would this be a good way to start web hacking?
(03-27-2020, 06:14 PM)QMark Wrote: Would building networks help? What is a good way of learning computer networking fundamentals? I get that it doesn't help just to earn a bunch of certs is why I ask.

Learning by doing is a my go to way. Back in the day when I first started it was by getting 3-4 old shitty computers, and some simple routers/switches/hubs. But this was ~20 years ago. About 8 years ago when I wanted to update my skills and knowledge, I built a solid PC with 64gb ram, lots of diskspace, and ran virtual operating systems and virtual networks.

These days, and in the fact the future - software defined networking a thing. As is cloud-based stuff. I actually need to update my skillset again - and this time it will be Google and AWS that I focus on. Their networking capabilities and systems are soooo extensive. I have a basic understanding of some things through my day to day work - but I have barely scratched the surface. 

If you're just learning the basics of networking and routing and you want to physically see the design and handle stuff, the first route is still fine today. It's just potentially costly/resource intensive. If you are alright operating on virtual routing and what not, option 2 is also fine. It's probably what i'd recommend. Doesn't need to be a beast of a computer. though at least 8GB of ram, and preferably at least 16. The more you have the more you can run at a time. Stick to shit like CLI only Linux to reduce the resource requirements for each VM.

Messages In This Thread
RE: would this be a good way to start web hacking? - by MuddyBucket - 03-27-2020, 08:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coldfusion hacking Insider 2 10,248 02-13-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Basics of website and server hacking Insider 0 7,763 03-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Insider
  is my site secure from common hacking? mhiats37 1 7,111 05-11-2019, 03:03 AM
Last Post: misfit
  WebDAV Hacking [Detect & Exploit] Insider 1 21,433 04-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thunder