what would be a good list of human manipulation books to practice?
Ok, so what I'm looking for is goals to give to a social skills coach who can correct my social skills and help practice social skills with me in the real world by going with my to social events and giving me feedback on what I am doing wrong and what I can do better. When I first get the social coach, they will accompany me to a social group/classroom type environment where we learn social skills. Then we're gonna go out in the commnunity and practice the skills at meetup groups or in other real world scenarios like in whatever physical setting. The class includes everything from dealing with bullies to dating.

After that, I want to continue practicing social skills beyond what is offered in the group/class at an individualized level. So, I need some social goals and I'm thinking I might show the social coach some books I want to read so that they can help me practice them but first practice the prerequisites to them in the real world. I have some other social skills goals. One of them is to get to a point where I can practice social engineering. My social skills are beyond other autistics but slightly below an average normal person.

So, here are my three questions:

1. Is this a good, working, idea to do with a social skills coach?
  2. Are there any books you would add or take away from the following list?
  3. Is this a realistically achievable goal and is it probably worth it?:
List of books:
  • Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene
  • The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
  • The Prince by Machiavelli
  • 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
  • What Every Body is Saying by Joe Navarro

UPDATE: I changed the above thread to be a little more accurate. I'm not just planning on reading books and hoping it helps me in social engineering or social skills. I want to work on social skills in the real world with the help of a special coach to give me feedback and then ask the coach if they can help me practice all of these books once I get through enough of the prerequisite social skills practice completed. But I'm going to be practicing a huge variety of different social skills in real life situations and get feedback on it. So I'm not just relying on simply reading books.
Okay this is my opinion:
Social skills are not taught via books. Books might give you other perspectives or some ideas.
The list of books you mentioned are very well known, so sure, go and read them; but don't think that by only reading them you will really make a big difference.

The good thing about social skills is that you can practice everywhere and every time. Work on your body language, and different situations (until you feel comfortable to the point of it feeling natural).
(04-02-2020, 11:00 AM)enmafia2 Wrote: Okay this is my opinion:
Social skills are not taught via books. Books might give you other perspectives or some ideas.
The list of books you mentioned are very well known, so sure, go and read them; but don't think that by only reading them you will really make a big difference.

The good thing about social skills is that you can practice everywhere and every time. Work on your body language, and different situations (until you feel comfortable to the point of it feeling natural).

No, I misspoke. What I meant wasn't just reading the books. My social coach will accompany me to real social situations and give social corrections. However, I need to specify to them what my goals are. So, I thought that maybe they could help me practice social skills in real life but then once I get good enough at social skills maybe they could help me practice skills from the books in real life and they could give me corrections and everything about how to do it. I'm not asking about simply reading those books. I want to show the books to a social skills coach who could maybe help me gain the skills from the books by practicing on real people, but first maybe they could help me gain the prerequisite social skills themselves.
(04-02-2020, 05:03 PM)QMark Wrote:

No, I misspoke. What I meant wasn't just reading the books. My social coach will accompany me to real social situations and give social corrections. However, I need to specify to them what my goals are. So, I thought that maybe they could help me practice social skills in real life but then once I get good enough at social skills maybe they could help me practice skills from the books in real life and they could give me corrections and everything about how to do it. I'm not asking about simply reading those books. I want to show the books to a social skills coach who could maybe help me gain the skills from the books by practicing on real people, but first maybe they could help me gain the prerequisite social skills themselves.

Okay, go for it!
(04-03-2020, 11:05 AM)enmafia2 Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 05:03 PM)QMark Wrote:

Okay, go for it!

Right, but would this be a good approach to getting the social skills and then social engineering and how likely is it to work? My social skills are superior to other autistics and I am told I could be taught more advanced social skills if I went through training that other autistics could not learn.

And how effective would that book list be in terms of learning to social engineer people if I get help applying it to real world scenarios? Obviously, I'm going to make sure I get the prerequisite social skills first through the one on one training.
My goto book I recommend for social engineering is "Social engineering: The art of human hacking". It's the book I started out with when I first got into infosec, great book. But as enmafia said, books cant teach you everything. But it's a way to get started. Make sure to use the knowledge and apply it to the real world.

I'm not a social engineer. But unironically, working with IT-support and customer services has taught me how to talk to people well. Would not recommend that job though.... But either way social skills is something you need to practise and maintain. Just like staying fit.

Edit: You can download the book there. Probably not going to be the latest edition though.

https://greysec.net/showthread.php?tid=337
(04-03-2020, 08:38 PM)Insider Wrote: My goto book I recommend for social engineering is "Social engineering: The art of human hacking". It's the book I started out with when I first got into infosec, great book. But as enmafia said, books cant teach you everything. But it's a way to get started. Make sure to use the knowledge and apply it to the real world.

I'm not a social engineer. But unironically, working with IT-support and customer services has taught me how to talk to people well. Would not recommend that job though.... But either way social skills is something you need to practise and maintain. Just like staying fit.

Edit: You can download the book there. Probably not going to be the latest edition though.

https://greysec.net/showthread.php?tid=337

I mean actual human manipulation books because most “social engineering” books don’t actually teach what real social engineering or human manipulation is. They just teach some cybersecurity awareness and I want to have the actual skills, not just become more aware of a subset of those skills.

I want to do things the way they are keant to be done, not just do what schools want me to think is the way to gaining social engineering.

The social engineering applied to hacking will probably be more useful if I have actually practiced real social engineering on someone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human Manipulation Ebook collection Insider 36 43,828 04-21-2019, 09:15 PM
Last Post: bookwoorm
  A Thread About Human Profiling C3x0r 0 4,068 10-21-2018, 05:52 AM
Last Post: C3x0r
  Hacking the Human: SE Basics (8 parts) sten0 1 6,174 07-12-2018, 06:37 AM
Last Post: amaaaza11