I made a decision regarding my IT studies
So the people at my school, including the cybersecurity club’s advisor, tell me that I am too scattered with learning. They said that when I know networking, Linux, and Windows, then I can start learning penetration testing. People here say I am too scattered but that I should focus on programming.

I decided I am forst gonna take my school’s advice then take the advice (when it comes to this question) I get from other people.

In other words I think I am gonna learn networking first, get good at it, then add in Linux and get good at that, then do the same thing with Windows and so on and then when I have all of that completed then learn either programming skills then hacking. But if the people at my school say I am ready to start I will start.

So from now on I am gonna focus on computer networking other than I will still focus on web development for my class, but I have spent a lot of time hopping from thing to thing.

This summer I am gonna just dedicate to computer networking. When I get past basic networking skills I will go to the next thing. This way I will probably be ready to start pentesting sooner than if I jump into web dev and programming immediately

Four years ago I was continually redoing CCENT courses and went from there to Linux to web dev without getting good at any of the three.

So I am gonna do what my school said to do first, then I will learn web development in depth if my school recommends it which they approve of because when I asked they said Insider’s advice was a “good idea” and it sounds like good advice to me but whenever my school says I am ready to start penetration testing is when I will consider whether to do what they say or to learn more programming. I will learn the programming either way regardless because I need it to actually be good. But I will worry about that question when I know all three basic IT skills.
No matter what you are studying getting the basics and fundamentals down first is a good idea. Getting good at Windows, Linux and Networking are pretty fundamental to getting into computer science in a general sense.

I am glad you have settled on what you will be focusing on, to use an analogy a strong house is built on a strong foundation. And i'm sure you'll do great in preparing that foundation for yourself and your future studies.
(04-15-2020, 08:16 AM)Vector Wrote: No matter what you are studying getting the basics and fundamentals down first is a good idea. Getting good at Windows, Linux and Networking are pretty fundamental to getting into computer science in a general sense.

I am glad you have settled on what you will be focusing on, to use an analogy a strong house is built on a strong foundation. And i'm sure you'll do great in preparing that foundation for yourself and your future studies.

I also know that networking is fundamental to all of IT.

I’m gonna make a thread asking if anyone has the most up to date Packet Tracer in a torrent or some sort of special code to get it.

Since my web development class is required for my major, for the time being I will still ask questions about it.

I am gonna get to doing networking soon though. Just have to finish this class and then my other class and then start networking over the summer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  do you think that psychology studies on hackers are bad? QMark 2 2,904 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Last Post: enmafia2