Advice for people new to hacking
Advice for New Hackers
[Image: cyber-attack-hacker_orig.jpg]
Hi Members of GreySec. It's good to see this forum back. I was hanging around here under another username for a few months before the outage. I'll keep the intro short. I've been in the hacking community a relatively short time, but learned a lot in that time. I still remember what it was like to be that new person with nowhere to go. So, this is a short list of advice points to help you out. There's a TLDR at the end of each point if you want to be a douche bag and ignore all the work I've put into this post. Hope you enjoy.
1. There is no "best place" to start or "best path" to take.
I see a lot of beginners asking where the best place to start is. Or what the best thing to start learning is. Well there isn't a best place. Hacking is an incredibly large field, encompassing multiple types of technology and even some areas that aren't technology. Everyone takes a different path to get to where they are. Some people start by learning to code in a programming language. Some start as network engineers. A buddy of mine started out just messing around with RATs (remote access trojans, pretty much just a program that allows you to control other people's computers). Later he learned a few programming languages including C, python, and assembly. I started learning networking and the Linux OS. Here's what I'd recommend. Get an idea of what different subfields of hacking there are. Then find an area that interests you and learn as much about it as you can.
TLDR; there's no best place to start or best path to take. Pick an area that interests you and learn about it.
2. Learn how to ask questions
You will eventually have to ask questions. It's inevitable. When you go to ask more experienced people questions, you have to know how to approach it. I've been on both sides of this. There's a few things you have to understand about the mindset of the people you are asking questions. First, they have better things to do than answer your questions. So don't waste their time. For instance, say you have a problem with a tool. DO NOT go straight to the more experienced people. Read through the tool's documentation and/or usage. Still didn't find the answer? Google it. Googling stuff is a priceless skill to have. Some people are very, very bad at it. I've had people ask me questions where I google one thing and the answer to the question is spelled out in one of the very first results. That is fucking annoying. Don't be the person asking a googleable question (side note: fuck google. use duckduckgo). Do your research first. Then when you go to ask the question tell the person(s) exactly what your problem is, a little context, and what you've tried already. For example, can't figure out why you can't do a portscan of a host on your network? "Hey guys. I'm having problems port scanning a device on my home network. I'm running Kali Linux 2020.x dual booted on my laptop, nmap 7.x, and I'm on a small home network. I'm tring to portscan my router, but it's not responding to any of my scans."
TLDR; Don't ask questions that are easily googleable. Give the people you are asking questions all the relevant details so they can help you.

3. Remember that everybody started somewhere

There are people who for one reason or another like to make others feel like they aren't good enough. These people are generally inexperienced themselves. I've never seen a smart and experienced hacker berating other people for being less experienced. Everyone, including the best hackers start somewhere. They didn't get where they are overnight either. They probably spent years working on it. It's easy to see the end result of a hacker and think it seems out of reach. You can't see the hundreds or thousands of hours of work that went into it though. YOU are the one who determines if you are up to your own standards. I find it helps to look back at where you've been so that you can see how far you've come. Granted, you probably can't do that if you've only been at this a few months. But I've been at this for several years, and looking back at where I was when I started makes me proud of where I am now.
TLDR; Don't measure where you are or what you know by other people's standards. Everyone starts somewhere.
I hope this gave any newbies some insight. If you have any other advice for newbies, feel free to reply to this thread. If any new people have questions also feel free to ask below or PM me.
Hack the planet!
Great thread dude! I 100% agree with you here. Point 1 is what I say to all newbies asking me for advice. They always say "Where do I start?" and I just say; start anywhere! And work your way from there. Find a topic that interests you and try to go from there.

Back when I started, all the newbie hacking threads always pointed towards phreaking and stuff. So started learning about war dialers and other things. But those things are mostly obsolete these days. But worked my way from there and found a lot of other things that interested me.
Insider Wrote:Great thread dude! I 100% agree with you here. Point 1 is what I say to all newbies asking me for advice. They always say "Where do I start?" and I just say; start anywhere! And work your way from there. Find a topic that interests you and try to go from there.

Thanks man. Yeah, can't even tell you how many times I've answered the question "where should I start." The unfortunate thing is that other people usually tell that new person different things that may or may not be the best place for them to start.
in your example, you said include if you have dual booted or not, does this really matter ? i mean i know this was  just an  example but e.g. in real situation should i need to mention detail like this ?

It might not matter. But people would probably ask whether it was a VM or bare-metal install of kali. VMs have been known to be funny with network interface cards. So the people trying to help don't have to waste their time asking.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Security/Hacking Ebook Collection Insider 124 185,082 07-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Last Post: pdd0702
  Is releasing hacking tools a bad idea? DeepLogic 1 573 06-16-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: poppopret
  Is learning Games Hacking useful? Bass_R33v3s 8 1,433 06-16-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Bass_R33v3s
  Detailed Account of Hacking a Spyware Company DeepLogic 0 513 06-05-2020, 06:02 PM
Last Post: DeepLogic