I decided to delete my Facebook
Hello everyone. I have an announcement to make.

I decided that since I felt strongly about the consequences of having a Facebook and about what it does to average people, which is not limited to tracking them, that I am going to officially delete Facebook as soon as I get access to my account again.

My mom kept pressuring me to make one and I don't want one. I politely confronted her about it and she's ok with this. She says she supports me.

Its ok now.

I still have a friend who is pressuring me to do it and I love him and he is still my best friend but he's just gonna have to accept that I don't want to have a Facebook and that I'm not going to continue to maintain one.

Fuck what other people think, even if those people are people I love.

I will make a LinkedIn in my real name for an employer to read, but that's about it as far as making any self-identifying social media.
i dont use facebook myself, but isn't it okay to keep account but not using it ?  OR

you should not use mobile app of Facebook but you can use its web version if needed and i think if you dont upload sensitive photos or dont use it as chat to discuss private stuff you would be fine. and everyone will be happy.

though, please correct me if i am wrong.
(05-06-2020, 04:18 AM)thunder011 Wrote: i dont use facebook myself, but isn't it okay to keep account but not using it ?  OR

you should not use mobile app of Facebook but you can use its web version if needed and i think if you dont upload sensitive photos or dont use it as chat to discuss private stuff you would be fine. and everyone will be happy.

though, please correct me if i am wrong.

Sorry bro, but you are 100% genuinely, sincerely, wrong.

Facebook sells data to third parties which I have known for years. I only made an account because my mom couldn't shut up about me making a Facebook page. I still love her but the extent to which she pressured me to make a FB is unbelievable.

But given how many times people have cited credible sources, proving that its a bad idea even if I don't use it...

Um yeah, the right thing is not to have a Facebook.
"But given how many times people have cited credible sources, proving that its a bad idea even if I don't use it..."

yep, i agree that facebook sells your data. but if there is no data to sell what is the risk by just keeping the account ?
I'm not clear on why you think LinkedIn is any better?
(05-06-2020, 04:48 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I'm not clear on why you think LinkedIn is any better?

It's not. But an employer requires something so I am making a LinkedIn like the people in the privacytoolsio subreddit recommended.

But that is gonna be the only thing I do online in my real name. And I probably won't log on very often and I'm probably going to only post clean things.
You should have deleted it long time ago! It's useless.
(05-06-2020, 04:48 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I'm not clear on why you think LinkedIn is any better?

All those notifications of people who I don't know in my e-mail are really helping me get a good job.
I really recommend it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how do I get Facebook to approve my account quicker? QMark 12 921 05-06-2020, 04:44 AM
Last Post: QMark