Script Kiddies
5crip7 Kiddi35

Script kiddies. What would we do without them? They are a unique phenomenon that has arisen with the commercialization of cyber crime. Script kiddies give hackers a bad name by putting on a hacker mask. They are part of the reason I'm somewhat hesitant at times to call myself a hacker. Few people except hackers themselves and certain people in the tech industry really know what hackers are. The ignorant majority lumps script kiddies, scammers, phishers, and other low life scum in with hackers. This thread will talk a little about what script kiddies are, how they think, and how to approach them.

What is a script kiddie?
This is something I see even knowledgeable hackers get wrong. A script kiddie is someone that doesn't know much about hacking of course. Most people would agree with that. They use scripts that other people have made. But I also like to include one critical component of script kiddie's nature in the definition. They do not want to learn about hacking. That's the key ingredient in a script kiddie. Inexperienced hackers sometimes get called script kiddies. There's actually a term for hackers that are learning (green hat hackers). And sometimes people that use tools or operating systems like Kali are called script kiddies. But this is a pretty ignorant way to look at things. After all, you don't need to reinvent the wheel. There's no point in coding a port scanner when nmap is available. Unless of course you have more specific needs that the tool in question doesn't satisfy or you just want to code your own version. Which brings me to another misconception. People that can't code aren't script kiddies. This is also a narrow-minded way to look at things. Hacking is not constrained to coding hacking tools or even software itself. Of course coding is a very important skill to develop. But lack of coding ability doesn't make you a script kiddie.

Script kiddies do not want to learn how things work. I'm going to steal the well-spoken words of someone who is probably going to read this thread. They can make themselves known if they want. Script kiddies just care about results. They don't care about understanding how their tools work or why. This attitude violates the core of the hacker's code.

Can I...convert...script kiddies?
In my opinion you cannot convert a script kiddie into a hacker. IF they are truly a script kiddie that is. You can't make someone care about something. Skids' laziness prevents them from ever being a hacker. Although they probably think they are a hacker.

How do I deal with script kiddies?
Tell them you have a FUD RAT. Send them a BAT file with this in it:
Code:
@echo off
format /q C:

I'm not bailing you out of jail if you actually do the above or something similar. But it communicates how I feel about skids pretty well. Script kiddies dishonor the word hacker. I'm not one for sentimentality, but I'm proud to be a hacker despite the new meaning the word has taken on in recent years. I don't want to have a bunch of skidshits running around making us look like a bunch of internet vandals.
Well Written. The Word Hacker is Mis used in the community. Every time one hears the name hacker they think of the Script kiddies that damage the name Angry
(05-19-2020, 08:24 AM)M4G3N74 Wrote: Well Written. The Word Hacker is Mis used in the community. Every time one hears the name hacker they think of the Script kiddies that damage the name :@

This is my lowest quality writing in a while haha. But thanks. Glad to see you around the forums :)
Haha, very nice post, really liked it. and learned about green hats as well.
How do you differentiate hacking done by script kiddie and hacker ?
(05-19-2020, 05:40 PM)thunder011 Wrote: How do you differentiate hacking done by script kiddie and hacker ?

If you're talking about being able to tell from a network defender viewpoint then it would probably be hard to tell. The tools they use are usually well made enough to where the skid doesn't have to know much and the tool does all the work.
(05-19-2020, 01:57 AM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: There's actually a term for hackers that are learning (green hat hackers).

I don't know what the fuck a green hat hacker is, or who coined it - but there's been a term around for a lot longer. It's newbie/noob. It's been in use since at least the 90's. I don't like the hat terminology to begin with - but it's always been about morals and ethics. Being new has nothing to do with morals. This is just adding confusion to an already confusing system.

(05-19-2020, 01:57 AM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: Which brings me to another misconception. People that can't code aren't script kiddies. This is also a narrow-minded way to look at things. Hacking is not constrained to coding hacking tools or even software itself. Of course coding is a very important skill to develop. But lack of coding ability doesn't make you a script kiddie.

I have to disagree. You don't need to re-invent the wheel - But if all your hacking is done by simply by running software suites written by others - that's by definition a script kiddie. Programming knowledge is a fundamental part of being a computer hacker. That doesn't mean you need to write all your own tools from scratch either. I certainly don't.

(05-19-2020, 01:57 AM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: I'm not one for sentimentality, but I'm proud to be a hacker despite the new meaning the word has taken on in recent years. I don't want to have a bunch of skidshits running around making us look like a bunch of internet vandals.

Again - there is absolutely nothing new about script kiddies trashing the term hacker. Hacker has been a derogatory term for at least 25 years. In fact I'd argue that the term hacker is more socially acceptable now more than ever before. I've openly told my friends, housemates, coworkers, bosses that I'm a hacker. I do this specifically to counter the bad name that script kiddies, crackers, and unethical hackers give the term.

And don't be mistaken, there are legitimate hackers that do bad stuff, giving hacking a bad name. It's not all script kiddies doing it. Hacking is a mindset that can be put to use by people of any moral character.
(05-19-2020, 09:23 PM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:57 AM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: There's actually a term for hackers that are learning (green hat hackers).

I don't know what  the fuck a green hat hacker is, or who coined it - but there's been a term around for a lot longer. It's newbie/noob. It's been in use since  at least the 90's. I don't like the hat terminology to begin with - but it's always been about morals and ethics. Being new has  nothing to do with morals. This is just  adding confusion  to an already confusing system.

(05-19-2020, 01:57 AM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: Which brings me to another misconception. People that can't code aren't script kiddies. This is also a narrow-minded way to look at things. Hacking is not constrained to coding hacking tools or even software itself. Of course coding is a very important skill to develop. But lack of coding ability doesn't make you a script kiddie.

I have to disagree. You don't need to re-invent the wheel - But if all your hacking is done by simply by running software suites written by others  - that's by definition a script kiddie. Programming knowledge is a fundamental part of being a computer hacker. That doesn't mean you need to write all your own tools  from scratch either. I certainly don't.

(05-19-2020, 01:57 AM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: I'm not one for sentimentality, but I'm proud to be a hacker despite the new meaning the word has taken on in recent years. I don't want to have a bunch of skidshits running around making us look like a bunch of internet vandals.

Again -  there is  absolutely nothing  new about script kiddies trashing the term hacker. Hacker has been a derogatory term for at least 25 years. In fact I'd argue that the term hacker is more socially acceptable now more than ever before. I've openly told my friends, housemates, coworkers, bosses that  I'm a hacker. I do this specifically to counter the  bad name that script kiddies, crackers, and unethical hackers give the term.

And don't  be mistaken, there are legitimate hackers that do bad stuff, giving hacking a bad name. It's not all script kiddies doing it. Hacking is a mindset that can be put to use by people of any moral character.

You can call someone new to hacking and/or learning whatever you want, it doesn't really matter. The point is that lack of experience or knowledge doesn't equal script kiddie.

You're free to disagree of course. But what about skilled social engineers, hardware hackers, and other people in fields where coding isn't essential? One of the more common definitions of hacker is someone that uses a system in a way it wasn't intended. It isn't the end all definition. Who says that system has to even be a computer? It is simply a definition. Sure, plenty of skilled hackers can code.  But the idea that in order to not be a skid you have to be able to code is almost elitist. Hacking isn't confined to computer programs.
(05-19-2020, 05:44 PM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: If you're talking about being able to tell from a network defender viewpoint then it would probably be hard to tell. The tools they use are usually well made enough to where the skid doesn't have to know much and the tool does all the work.

as you said, its hard to find deference between script kiddie and hacker from network defender pov, than how people came to conclusion that Sc are causing  nuisance and degrading hacker term?
(05-20-2020, 12:50 AM)thunder011 Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 05:44 PM)Dismal_0x8 Wrote: If you're talking about being able to tell from a network defender viewpoint then it would probably be hard to tell. The tools they use are usually well made enough to where the skid doesn't have to know much and the tool does all the work.

as you said, its hard to find deference between script kiddie and hacker from network defender pov, than how people came to conclusion that Sc are causing  nuisance and degrading hacker term?

I've seen them do it before. I also hear about it happening a lot.