Why learn PHP?
If you just started getting into web development and you know HTML and CSS, you might think you're all set. Maybe you even know Javascript. But you don't know PHP? What's that? NO PHP?!?!?!

Well here is why you SHOULD learn php...

If you go to some websites you see "website.com/php?url=home" well when you make website without php you need "website.com/index.html"  This look very unprofessional. With the php?url=home is more professional. Also you can make it so you don't need to type anything but the website name. So you only need to do website.com and it'll show up on the correct page. Now you might be saying well if I upload my site and it has index.html it works without "/index.html". Well that might be true BUT what if you make other pages? Then when you link it in your index.html the address will change to like "website.com/about.html" but with php the ".html" will be gone forever.

Another example: with PHP you can link in separate documents. You can call upon documents and link it in your html or .php if you're using PHP to create your website. 

So in conclusion use PHP.  There are more benefits then this. I'm just scratching the surface here. I learned PHP way too late and I had to go back and recreate all thew websites using PHP and it worked so much smoother!
So trust me, learn PHP.
Quote:If you go to some websites you see "website.com/php?url=home" well when you make website without php you need "website.com/index.html" This look very unprofessional. With the php?url=home is more professional.

Actually going to website.com should serve up the index of the site if given a proper configuration. Also most sites still use index.php. The example of using a path query in the url is pretty ugly and I would think could damage your SEO. If you're going to argue that at least use an example that has a menu router like drupal where /this/is/a/path points to index.php?q=this/is/a/path and you always server up the index.php with a url rewrite.

You could also have .html treated like php files or even be included in a menu router. So that point is completely nullified.

If anything this whole post can be compressed to

Learn an interpreted language like PHP, Python, etc to prevent duplicate content that will increase both developer experience and User experience (consistent templates, navigation menus, footers, etc) as well as allowing you to create more powerful content user databases that normally couldn't be done securely with just HTML and JS.

PHP itself isn't very important just the idea of languages like PHP. I've developed with PHP for a long time, back when v4 was considered new and rather unstable.

PHP is a pretty crap language and it's easy to learn and write working code, so it makes for a lot of REALLY bad developers because they don't know how to program but they can write code that works in PHP. I would suggest you either start working in a PHP OOP framework like symphony or learn something like Python. Procedural PHP is dying and has been dying for a while
(12-05-2015, 12:09 AM)NO-OP Wrote:
Quote:If you go to some websites you see "website.com/php?url=home" well when you make website without php you need "website.com/index.html"  This look very unprofessional. With the php?url=home is more professional.

Actually going to website.com should serve up the index of the site if given a proper configuration.  Also most sites still use index.php.  The example of using a path query in the url is pretty ugly and I would think could damage your SEO.  If you're going to argue that at least use an example that has a menu router like drupal where /this/is/a/path points to index.php?q=this/is/a/path and you always server up the index.php with a url rewrite.

You could also have .html treated like php files or even be included in a menu router.  So that point is completely nullified.

If anything this whole post can be compressed to

Learn an interpreted language like PHP, Python, etc to prevent duplicate content that will increase both developer experience and User experience (consistent templates, navigation menus, footers, etc) as well as allowing you to create more powerful content user databases that normally couldn't be done securely with just HTML and JS.

PHP itself isn't very important just the idea of languages like PHP.  I've developed with PHP for a long time, back when v4 was considered new and rather unstable.

PHP is a pretty crap language and it's easy to learn and write working code, so it makes for a lot of REALLY bad developers because they don't know how to program but they can write code that works in PHP.  I would suggest you either start working in a PHP OOP framework like symphony or learn something like Python.  Procedural PHP is dying and has been dying for a while

LOL thank you for compressing my message but yes you are correct. Technically you could do it your way. But I"m saying just learn PHP

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for my PHP people out there. 0xRar 4 22,056 12-25-2020, 10:05 PM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  why is my function evaluating to null? QMark 10 40,606 04-08-2020, 12:41 AM
Last Post: QMark
  why doesn't the howOld() function work? QMark 8 28,192 04-05-2020, 01:37 AM
Last Post: QMark
  php random_bytes and padding mhiats37 0 15,134 04-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Last Post: mhiats37