how to get Telnet working on this network?
So I fixed the the connection and the DHCP server. Now I'm wondering what else might be wrong with this PT:

https://gofile.io/d/7UZMjm

So what is wrong with whatever is left of that file that I'm missing? I fixed both the DNS server's configuration as well as the connection between SW1 and R2.

By the way, I only have 28.5 hours left of this CCNA course out of 38.
I don't know what the hell this is... but the fact that they have you trying to set up a telnet server is hilarious. Is this thing from 1995?
(06-29-2020, 07:02 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I don't know what the hell this is... but the fact that they have you trying to set up a telnet server is hilarious. Is this thing from 1995?

Lol yeah. I'd personally avoid using telnet in any professional development projects Big Grin Sadly I hear it's often used with internet of things. For these so called smart devices. Unencrypted data transfers...

Only time I ever use telnet is just for fun.. connect to old BBS servers and look at the fance ASCII art and banners.
(06-29-2020, 07:02 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
I don't know what the hell this is... but the fact that they have you trying to set up a telnet server is hilarious. Is this thing from 1995?

It’s actually a high quality and up to date CCNA course. What i’m trying to do is configure a DNS server.

(06-29-2020, 07:10 AM)Insider Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 07:02 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote:

Lol yeah. I'd personally avoid using telnet in any professional development projects Big Grin Sadly I hear it's often used with internet of things. For these so called smart devices. Unencrypted data transfers...

Only time I ever use telnet is just for fun.. connect to old BBS servers and look at the fance ASCII art and banners.

The lab is about configuring DNS servers. I could upload the instructions again if you didn’t get them but I think they were uploaded. I’m trying to get DNS server to accept the Telnet connection but it says “connection refused.”
It feels weird that a DNS server would refuse telnet connections. You sure nothings wrong with the telnet server or your telnet client?
Try telnet to a legit server like blinkenlights.towel.nl (Watch starwars in cmd).
Or maybe can you try telnet to your server via direct IP bypassing the involvement of dns?

Double check that your telnet domain actually resolves to the right IP. Check A records: https://whatsmydns.net
Double check your telnet server configs, are you listening to the correct IP and port etc? Is there any error or warning logs? etc.

Sounds like you need to do some troubleshooting.
Saying that you need to configure a DNS server and get error "connection refused" doesn't say much to me.
Connection is refused since the telnet service isn't running on the DNS server, AFAICT but you probably figured that one out already. That being said, ping does in fact work.
Haven't done this sort of networking stuff in forever, so can't help much sadly.
Are you setting up a Telnet Service on a DNS Server?

Or are you simply trying to connect to the DNS Service on a DNS Server using a telnet client? If it's the former - that's absolutely stupid. If it's the latter, then it probably means:

A. You're not using the telnet client correctly
B. There is a firewall blocking the connection
C. Your DNS service isnt working. A telnet client is a really, really simple application. If you can't get a telnet client to connect to a port, then either there is a firewall preventing it, or the service isn't accepting connections. It's never the telnet client. It's too simple to not work.
(06-29-2020, 11:29 PM)MuddyBucket Wrote: Are you setting up a Telnet Service on a DNS Server?

Or are you simply trying to connect to the DNS Service on a DNS Server using a telnet client? If it's the former - that's absolutely stupid. If it's the latter, then it probably means:

A. You're not using the telnet client correctly
B. There is a firewall blocking the connection
C. Your DNS service isnt working. A telnet client is a really, really simple application. If you can't get a telnet client to connect to a port, then either there is a firewall preventing it, or the service isn't accepting connections. It's never the telnet client. It's too simple to not work.

It's a virtual lab in cisco's PT. Firewalls and clients are more or less irrelevant since it's a simulation and not a physical network. Only configuration really matters, and fixing the configurations is the goal of the lab described in the PDF.
(06-30-2020, 12:57 AM)poppopret Wrote: It's a virtual lab in cisco's PT. Firewalls and clients are more or less irrelevant since it's a simulation and not a physical network. Only configuration really matters, and fixing the configurations is the goal of the lab described in the PDF.

Yes, and I think that I may move onto the next video just because of how long this stuff is taking. I will get more labs after I finish the course. Will still try to do this lab but will do it in-between future videos I guess.
(06-30-2020, 12:57 AM)poppopret Wrote: It's a virtual lab in cisco's PT. Firewalls and clients are more or less irrelevant since it's a simulation and not a physical network. Only configuration really matters, and fixing the configurations is the goal of the lab described in the PDF.

firewall might not be relevant in this case... but if you're doing something stupid like using a telnet client to test whether DNS is up/responding on the port you've configured it on, and not specifying port you configured when you attempt the connection - it's not going to work.

My point was - if that's what he's doing, he's either using telnet incorrectly, or his "fixed" DNS configuration isn't fixed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why isn't Pidgin working? QMark 4 1,737 09-08-2020, 08:23 PM
Last Post: QMark
  Where can I get a free copy of wahh labs? QMark 4 5,036 06-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Last Post: QMark
  How did you get into security? kms 18 12,303 05-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Last Post: 0xide
  What kind of place do you get an IT apprenticeship at? QMark 3 4,660 05-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: EnigmaCookie