how to get Telnet working on this network?
(06-30-2020, 03:57 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 12:57 AM)poppopret Wrote: It's a virtual lab in cisco's PT. Firewalls and clients are more or less irrelevant since it's a simulation and not a physical network. Only configuration really matters, and fixing the configurations is the goal of the lab described in the PDF.

firewall might not be relevant in this case... but if you're doing something stupid like using a telnet client to test whether DNS is up/responding on the port you've configured it on, and not specifying port you configured when you attempt the connection - it's not going to work.

My point was - if that's what he's doing, he's either using telnet incorrectly, or his "fixed" DNS configuration isn't fixed.

Well, the assignment is to use Telnet so I'm just gonna move onto the next part of the course and devote a whole month to labs afterward just for this reason.

Its a weird assignment.

I mean the course overall is great and the guy is an excellent explainer and is good at speaking English and understandable even with his Scottish accent.

But I may just move onto the next section and continue and get back to this later.
I guess what they want him to do is telnet 10.10.10.10 on port 53, to see if he gets a 'connection closed' message or not. Went ahead and set a local DNS server up and configured it.

Code:
telnet 192.168.122.1 53
Trying 192.168.122.1...
Connected to 192.168.122.1.
Escape character is '^]'.

telnet> status
Operating in obsolete linemode
Local character echo

Since mine is configured properly it doesn't close the connection.

Hey Mark, i think you might be missing the point of this lab. It's not supposed to teach you how to use telnet properly. You need to trouble shoot the DNS server config.
(07-01-2020, 05:56 PM)Vector Wrote: I guess what they want him to do is telnet 10.10.10.10 on port 53, to see if he gets a 'connection closed' message or not. Went ahead and set a local DNS server up and configured it.

Code:
telnet 192.168.122.1 53
Trying 192.168.122.1...
Escape character is '^]'.

telnet> status
Operating in obsolete linemode
Local character echo

Since mine is configured properly it doesn't close the connection.

Hey Mark, i think you might be missing the point of this lab. It's not supposed to teach you how to use telnet properly. You need to trouble shoot the DNS server config.

Ok, but does that mean I should watch the videos again and relearn DNS? Should I add a PC into the mix and see if I can access the web page?
(07-01-2020, 07:33 PM)QMark Wrote: Ok, but does that mean I should watch the videos again and relearn DNS? Should I add a PC into the mix and see if I can access the web page?

I suspect you still don't understand basic networking. The instructions you attached did not provide the command needed, to do what you need to do to perform the test. So if you're just copy/pasting stuff, it's not going to work.

But since you still aren't in the habit of providing what you've attempting, the expected outcome, and the actual income. It's hard to say if you're doing something incorrectly. I don't know whether you've used the correct command because you haven't provided it. This "here, this is what I need to do -> it's not working" you like to do - is not an efficient way of getting help.
(07-02-2020, 12:16 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 07:33 PM)QMark Wrote: Ok, but does that mean I should watch the videos again and relearn DNS? Should I add a PC into the mix and see if I can access the web page?

I suspect you still don't understand basic networking. The instructions you attached did not provide the command needed, to do what you need to do to perform the test. So if you're just copy/pasting stuff, it's not going to work.

But since you still aren't in the habit of providing what you've attempting, the expected outcome, and the actual income. It's hard to say if you're doing something incorrectly. I don't know whether you've used the correct command because you haven't provided it. This "here, this is what I need to do -> it's not working" you like to do - is not an efficient way of getting help.

Ok, I'm gonna watch the videos again. Vector said it works perfectly when he does it so I'm guessing I nearly got it working. But I'm gonna go back and watch the basic videos of DNS again. I need to rewatch DNS and DHCP tonight so it might be that I need to take notes on that.

I am just gonna restart the assignment from scratch. But I need to review DNS and HTTP before doing this assignment. That way I can do the lab more effectively.

Thanks for the advice. You may be right to some extent.

Even if I end up taking until the end of July and have to take the test in the Fall or near end of August I don't care so long as I get to a point where I can understand it and get a solid foundation before taking the test so that I'm ready.

Right now I'm not perfect so I'm gonna review the past couple of hours of video because I need to relearn DNS and HTTP. That's what I know I need for the exercise.

But yes, good advice.
(07-02-2020, 01:53 AM)QMark Wrote: Ok, I'm gonna watch the videos again. Vector said it works perfectly when he does it so I'm guessing I nearly got it working. But I'm gonna go back and watch the basic videos of DNS again. I need to rewatch DNS and DHCP tonight so it might be that I need to take notes on that.

I am just gonna restart the assignment from scratch. But I need to review DNS and HTTP before doing this assignment. That way I can do the lab more effectively.

He usually is, also try to take the point of asking questions the right way to heart. It helps us help you better.

(07-02-2020, 01:53 AM)QMark Wrote: Even if I end up taking until the end of July and have to take the test in the Fall or near end of August I don't care so long as I get to a point where I can understand it and get a solid foundation before taking the test so that I'm ready.

Right now I'm not perfect so I'm gonna review the past couple of hours of video because I need to relearn DNS and HTTP. That's what I know I need for the exercise.

But yes, good advice.

It's good to revisit your study materials. Personally i think you'd benefit from reading a few books on the subject as well.
(07-02-2020, 11:54 AM)Vector Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 01:53 AM)QMark Wrote: Ok, I'm gonna watch the videos again. Vector said it works perfectly when he does it so I'm guessing I nearly got it working. But I'm gonna go back and watch the basic videos of DNS again. I need to rewatch DNS and DHCP tonight so it might be that I need to take notes on that.

He usually is, also try to take the point of asking questions the right way to heart. It helps us help you better.

(07-02-2020, 01:53 AM)QMark Wrote: Even if I end up taking until the end of July and have to take the test in the Fall or near end of August I don't care so long as I get to a point where I can understand it and get a solid foundation before taking the test so that I'm ready.

But yes, good advice.

It's good to revisit your study materials. Personally i think you'd benefit from reading a few books on the subject as well.

I also am gonna get the official guide if this course doesn’t get me the cert or if I am not doing well on the certification exams.

I think this is gonna be difficult but I am willing to do it.

Yes, reading books would help someone like me. Your right.

I’m hoping to do this by end of Fall at latest but I will make sure I learn this stuff well before moving onto the next thing.

But yes, your right. I need to review everything.

Thanks for the advice by the way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where can I get a free copy of wahh labs? QMark 4 4,345 06-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Last Post: QMark
  How did you get into security? kms 18 11,026 05-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Last Post: 0xide
  What kind of place do you get an IT apprenticeship at? QMark 3 4,057 05-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: EnigmaCookie
  What does Social Network Ninja mean? miker2808 7 5,558 02-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Last Post: miker2808