which would be better for a job in cyber security?
So I want to get an entry level job. I have A+ and net+. I think on-the-job experience would be ideal while I'm earning CCNA.

Would I need to have an entry level IT help desk job to get into cyber security or could I do sec+ super quick and get a job? Or am I fantasizing?

Right now I'm sticking to CCNA obviously, but I really want to get a job ASAP. I want to continue going to school of course, but I absolutely need a job.

Could an entry level IT job be a good starting place to go from to get into cyber security? Or could I theoretically just get a job in cyber security now?
(07-18-2020, 02:56 AM)QMark Wrote: So I want to get an entry level job. I have A+ and net+. I think on-the-job experience would be ideal while I'm earning CCNA.

Would I need to have an entry level IT help desk job to get into cyber security or could I do sec+ super quick and get a job? Or am I fantasizing?

Right now I'm sticking to CCNA obviously, but I really want to get a job ASAP. I want to continue going to school of course, but I absolutely need a job.

Could an entry level IT job be a good starting place to go from to get into cyber security? Or could I theoretically just get a job in cyber security now?

I could totally see someone with your qualifications getting an entry job. I have seen people changing careers completely and landing a job.
There for sure will be some jobs easier to land than others, but you can just try your luck.
You don't necessarily need to have had an entry level IT Desk Job to qualify for a security oriented position later. However, i do think you qualify for an entry level IT job. And like you said, working that job, getting experience and learning more security oriented stuff in the meantime is a good way to go about advancing your career into the direction you want.

Besides, having previous experience in an IT role will look good on your CV when you do apply for that Cyber Sec job down the line. If you think you're up for it, i'd say go for it.
I don't know anyone that has walked in and gotten a cyber security job with just sec+ and some basic certs and no experience/limited knowledge and no "portfolio" (ie CVE's, papers/research, source contributions, etc.)

I think an entry level IT help desk job is more realistic for what your knowledge and skill level is - but that in itself is unlikely to lead directly to a cyber security role. You'll need to build up cyber security knowledge and experience independently. Either more courses, or consistent self-directed learning.
(07-22-2020, 05:25 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I don't know anyone that has walked in and gotten a cyber security job with just sec+ and some basic certs and no experience/limited knowledge and no "portfolio" (ie CVE's, papers/research, source contributions, etc.)

I think an entry level IT help desk job is more realistic for what your knowledge and skill level is - but that in itself is unlikely to lead directly to a cyber security role. You'll need to build up cyber security knowledge and experience independently. Either more courses, or consistent self-directed learning.

So would you say bug bounties would do it? Let's say I had a decent bug bounty record.
(08-31-2020, 04:11 PM)QMark Wrote: So would you say bug bounties would do it? Let's say I had a decent bug bounty record.

That would be a huge benefit i think. Hell I know guys that make 100-250k a year just doing bug bounties. If you're good at that you may not even need/want a job.
(08-31-2020, 06:13 PM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 04:11 PM)QMark Wrote: So would you say bug bounties would do it? Let's say I had a decent bug bounty record.
That would be a huge benefit i think. Hell I know guys that make 100-250k a year just doing bug bounties. If you're good at that you may not even need/want a job.

It depends how good I get. But yeah I agree, that definitely would sound great.

I think doing bug bounties for a while to get good but then transitioning into doing a dedicated cybersecurity job someday would be ideal. Like, after I get good at and sick of bug hunting which may be never since I think I will like it when I finally get around to it.

That won't be until long after my CCNA though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pentester academy Wifi security course request mohan99 1 2,826 07-13-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: thunder011
  which is better: elearn security or SANS? QMark 5 3,042 04-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Last Post: QMark
  would you say this would be a good improvement on a study? QMark 4 6,436 03-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Last Post: MuddyBucket
  I would like to dox celebrities, corporations, governments QMark 2 5,908 08-16-2018, 05:21 AM
Last Post: QMark