How can someone learn human manipulation and use it to hack if they are bad at lying?
Like wouldn’t it be difficult for someone to be a social engineer if they aren’t good at lying? Or if someone had a habit of revealing the the truth after they get intimidated by for example the police, security guard, etc?

How then does one gain confidence and learn social engineering penetration testing and human manipulation?
It's all about social skills. Practice your social skills. That's about all you can do to improve. Lying is just another social skill. You won't improve upon it unless you try/practice it.
There are two things I'd recommend, don't know if you're a student or not but if you are then you can probably find a club or group to join with people your age:

1. Improv
2. Public speaking

Public speaking should be self-explanatory. Social engineering requires confidence in what you're saying. Public speaking is all about being confident while speaking to a group of people.

Improv is to supplement the rest. Whenever social engineering, you need to come up with what to say next on-the-fly. It's much harder to do while lying, like if you claim to be a technician from XYZ ltd., then the company ABC might ask you for some kind of confirmation, and in the heat of the moment you need to come up with what to tell them (i.e. you left your ID at the office and you can just email the HQ, or here's a forged document.)

Find a group to practice those with, and you should be set. Social engineering isn't as much lying as just being confident and being able to come up with the 'next move' in a seemingly-natural fashion.
(07-29-2020, 10:52 PM)poppopret Wrote:
There are two things I'd recommend, don't know if you're a student or not but if you are then you can probably find a club or group to join with people your age:

1. Improv
2. Public speaking

Public speaking should be self-explanatory. Social engineering requires confidence in what you're saying. Public speaking is all about being confident while speaking to a group of people.

Improv is to supplement the rest. Whenever social engineering, you need to come up with what to say next on-the-fly. It's much harder to do while lying, like if you claim to be a technician from XYZ ltd., then the company ABC might ask you for some kind of confirmation, and in the heat of the moment you need to come up with what to tell them (i.e. you left your ID at the office and you can just email the HQ, or here's a forged document.)

Find a group to practice those with, and you should be set. Social engineering isn't as much lying as just being confident and being able to come up with the 'next move' in a seemingly-natural fashion.

(07-29-2020, 10:16 PM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
It's all about social skills. Practice your social skills. That's about all you can do to improve. Lying is just another social skill. You won't improve upon it unless you try/practice it.

So basically if I am hearing you guys right:

1. Join an improv troupe and do public speaking on the side
2. Practice lying in the real world

It sounds like improv and public speaking provide a foundation to make social engineering easier. Would starting with meaningless lies that are of little consequence be good to start off?

Would How to Win Friends and Influence People be a good place to start? I mean like practicing that on people? Also would going to meetups constantly be ideal?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human Manipulation Ebook collection Insider 39 51,259 Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Last Post: QMark
  what would be a good list of human manipulation books to practice? QMark 6 3,979 04-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Last Post: QMark
  can someone with autism and psychosis learn social engineering? QMark 5 3,063 04-03-2020, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Insider
  A Thread About Human Profiling C3x0r 0 4,877 10-21-2018, 05:52 AM
Last Post: C3x0r