anyone here read 1984?
I started 1984 today, and I really liked it. Its an interesting political novel so far. I really like the premise of the society described in the book. Its a lot like what's going on in the US and China today.

I feel like we are already there.
I've read it a few times over the years, although not recently.

I can't speak about China too much, but the US is definitely getting closer and closer to the state of affairs in Orwells vision. 10-15 years ago I would have said while the NSA's capabilities were concerning, it wasn't anywhere near as problematic as the book.

However with the advent of #fakenews, and Trump's attempts to quite literally (and somewhat successfully) rewrite history, display very concerning parallels to the book. Right now it's only Trump's supporters that accept his revisionist history, but given time, if he successfully pulls off a power grab in the next election, or even 2024, it may only be a matter of time before anyone disagreeing with his (or whoever is president) statements, becomes a criminal. Now I'm not really thinking this will happen in the next 4 years (I hope). and we definitely, at this moment, seem to be going that way. Particularly in the last 5 months as can be seen with the attempts of the government to quell free speech and protests with unnecessary force.
I've read it, good book!

And I can agree with your thoughts on China. With the introduction of the "Social Credit" system where people are given points for being obedient. With a low credit score you will be denied to basic services like traveling, banking etc. And let's not forget the undermining of democracy in hong kong, the systematic ethnic cleansing oppression of the Uighurs in China's northwestern Xinjiang region.

Almost alike soviet and nazi germany. People are sent by the masses by train to so called re-education camps in bad conditions. Handcuffed to beds. With people from the age of 10 and up. Even going as far as being forced into castration. This in combination of CCCP sending new population of the Han majority to the region. Castrating Uighurs, sending them to camps and replacing them with their Han majority. In simple terms it is a sort of genocide. China denies this, but there's plenty of proof:

Uighurs being detained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPdiQy2mkgM
Secret concentration camps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMkHcZ5IwjU

More info

But yeah in general seems like the world is laying the groundwork for future dystopias. You know what they say; history will repeat itself.
People like throwing around that the current world is Orwellian in reference to 1984 (and in a more minor way other works like Animal Farm). I feel like its over applied to the world today, and its really only the big brother, surveillance aspect that is "accurate".

I'd argue that Brave New World touches much more relevant to our world when you look deeper. At the control of the population through pleasure and distraction rather than just domination enabled by the surveillance. I mean ultimately I think its a bit of both, we have both the overt control and surveillance of 1984, and the pleasure seeking society modeled by Brave New World.

I'd recommend giving Brave New World a read if you haven't already.
(09-22-2020, 04:06 AM)dropzone Wrote: People like throwing around that the current world is Orwellian in reference to 1984 (and in a more minor way other works like Animal Farm). I feel like its over applied to the world today, and its really only the big brother, surveillance aspect that is "accurate".

I'd argue that Brave New World touches much more relevant to our world when you look deeper. At the control of the population through pleasure and distraction rather than just domination enabled by the surveillance. I mean ultimately I think its a bit of both, we have both the overt control and surveillance of 1984, and the pleasure seeking society modeled by Brave New World.

I'd recommend giving Brave New World a read if you haven't already.

That will be the next book on my list.

Reading is fun.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  does anyone have any study groups for web hacking that focus on web hacking? QMark 0 1,102 11-07-2021, 04:09 AM
Last Post: QMark
  I'm starting to find CTFs very repetitive. Anyone feeling the same? GreenHorse 4 8,544 09-15-2021, 07:31 AM
Last Post: parzival
  Does anyone know about greymarket for 0_day exploit ? setekh 1 5,107 08-10-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Vector
  Does anyone know where to find the SHEIN data dump? InfinityDark 0 6,931 03-11-2021, 04:10 PM
Last Post: InfinityDark