is there something similar to this in result but with a clean install?
So I was looking for a way to migrate latest version of Ubuntu to latest version of xUbuntu. I found this:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.co...buntu.html

I want to keep everything but do a clean install.

I could back everything up and do it manually, but I want to keep my settings and everything.

Is there a version of that article that works, but with a clean install of xUbuntu?

The reason is I really think xUbuntu will work better for me as an option and if I do the old fashioned thing then I have to wait until winter break to switch operating systems so I don't risk my school work.

What do you recommend?
I'm confused...

You want to do a clean install of xubuntu, but keep everything? Keeping everything is by definition NOT a clean install. So I really don't know what it is you're trying to do.

It's been years since I've used ubuntu or xubuntu, but back in my day if you wanted to use XFCE on ubuntu, you installed XFCE on ubuntu. You probably wouldn't install a whole new operating system just to get a new windowing system.
Xubuntu is just Ubuntu with XFCE instead of Unity/GNOME/Whatever it is they use these days.
In other words, just install XFCE and uninstall your current DE.
(10-15-2020, 06:06 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: I'm confused...

You want to do a clean install of xubuntu, but keep everything? Keeping everything is by definition NOT a clean install. So I really don't know what it is you're trying to do.

It's been years since I've used ubuntu or xubuntu, but back in my day if you wanted to use XFCE on ubuntu, you installed XFCE on ubuntu. You probably wouldn't install a whole new operating system just to get a new windowing system.

So I thought it was the solution to something but I solved that thing so now I'm pretty much good.

Basically, what I need to do is back everything up and do a clean install. Your right about that.

Its because of an issue I'm having with updates. I wasn't able to update everything properly and its annoying. There was one application I needed to update that wouldn't update and I figured this may apply to the whole OS just because I screwed something up.

I'm gonna back everything up and do a clean install but simply wait until after I'm done with classes to do so.

But yeah your right about that.

Basically, I was trying to go to extreme measures over fixing updates but I figured out a quick fix. So I'm good now.
If it's just a bunch of settings then all you have to do is backup your home directory. Maybe also make a list of all installed software. Then reinstall, install the software and move the home directory files back.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is there anything wrong with the terms "white hat," "black hat," or "grey hat" to you QMark 2 2,522 04-14-2020, 03:16 AM
Last Post: QMark