Onion website offline?
I’m doing a project in which I plan to create a chat room onion website on the dark web with notepad++. I’m using a root account on Kali Linux to do this. I’ve decided to use an apache2 web server for this website and my website (index.html) and all of its contents is stored in /var/www/html. I’ve already made my onion website and it’s address, which is located in /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/host name. However, when I try to open my website on the dark web, it says that my website is offline. It states ‘0xf0-The requested onion service descriptor can’t be found on the hashring and therefore the service is not reachable by the client’. Please help me with this issue and please tell me what I’m doing wrong and how I can get my website to show on the dark web. I’d like my website to be online from Kali Linux through the root account in the index.html file. However, I just don’t know why my website isn’t showing up and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Help.
A chatroom, in just a html file? Sounds kind of weird, how are you supposed to communicate with that? Are you using javascript sockets or something? Just remember, most people on tor don't run scripts.

Also some good advice would be: Don't host things with root. Use sudo. Don't host things from your own computer, would recommend a debian/ubuntu server or something. Just from a security standpoint.

But anyway to the point of your problem:
"0xf0-The requested onion service descriptor can’t be found on the hashring and therefore the service is not reachable by the client"

Where are you getting this error message? Web error? Apache error log? Tor error log? etc.
There's so much to unpack here

1. Running an http service like apache as root is about the stupidest thing you can do when setting up a web host.

2. Using Kali as a web server is about the second dumbest thing you can do when setting up a web host. WHY??? This is a penetration testing distro. It's bloated and bulky and probably insecure if you're asking these kinds of questions.

3. We're not mind readers. Tell us
A) What you did to configure this. If you followed a tutorial, provide it.
B) What have you done to troubleshoot your problem so far. Things like, checking if your apache is actually running, whether it will serve the page locally, etc.
(11-06-2020, 09:25 AM)MuddyBucket Wrote: There's so much to unpack here

1. Running an http service like apache as root is about the stupidest thing you can do when setting up a web host.

2. Using Kali as a web server is about the second dumbest thing you can do when setting up a web host. WHY??? This is a penetration testing distro. It's bloated and bulky and probably insecure if you're  asking these kinds of questions.

3. We're not mind readers. Tell us
A) What you did to configure this. If you followed a  tutorial, provide it.
B) What have you done to troubleshoot your problem so far. Things like, checking if your apache  is actually running, whether it will serve the page locally, etc.

Thanks for telling me those tips. I’ll definitely correct those mistakes. The website loads up if I type out http://localhost:80/, I made sure that Apache and Tor was running when I checked my website, and I also checked my website on both the same machine I was using and a remote machine. I also configured all of this by editing the torcc file with HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_service and HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80, restarting Apache and Tor, and catting out /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/hostname. The tutorial that I followed to configure this is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePJ1tgJaRlI#. Don’t know what is wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Facebook.onion? What differences? Ogni 5 11,498 03-16-2021, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Onion site not loading IngloRex 7 11,851 01-21-2021, 08:09 PM
  Profit from website enmafia2 4 11,267 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM