Help me
How are you ? I'm new here. I need help, I work in the computer network area for a short time, I'm an intern. As everyone knows, the professional market is extremely competitive. However, I have been trying to improve myself not only in the area, but also in my English. But after all, what do I need help with? Well, even though I wake up early to study every day, sometimes I feel dumb and incapable, and it ends up affecting my psychological state. Could you recommend books that can help me improve, I have always been fascinated by ddos attacks, man-inthe-middle and ransoware. I wanted to impress my manager by finding a flaw in the company's system.

Feel free to give your opinion, or even curse me
(12-07-2020, 05:56 PM)astronomo Wrote: How are you ? I'm new here. I need help, I work in the computer network area for a short time, I'm an intern. As everyone knows, the professional market is extremely competitive. However, I have been trying to improve myself not only in the area, but also in my English. But after all, what do I need help with? Well, even though I wake up early to study every day, sometimes I feel dumb and incapable, and it ends up affecting my psychological state. Could you recommend books that can help me improve, I have always been fascinated by ddos attacks, man-inthe-middle and ransoware. I wanted to impress my manager by finding a flaw in the company's system.

Feel free to give your opinion, or even curse me

Honestly for the context you gave me I kind of suspect that you are willing to learn concepts fast. And in my opinion the best way to do so is getting your hands dirty.

Also, surprising your boss with a lot of knowledge might sound awesome, but it isn't the first time someone tries to hack their own organization and it doesn't end well. So I would first ask for permission to be in the clear. 

I would suggest using apps like DVWA[1] which will not only teach you the theory but also practice. There are many apps like that one, all depending on the kind of app you are willing to pentest.
Another good suggestion is sites like vulnhub[2] or hack the box[3]. They will help you learn not only how to get into a web app but what to do next to root the box. If you are stuck you can see video breakthroughs on YouTube (search Ippsec[4] for example).

Good luck and don't do stupid things!

[1] - DVWA: https://github.com/digininja/DVWA
[2] - vulnhub: https://www.vulnhub.com/
[3] - hack the box: https://www.hackthebox.eu
[4] - IppSec: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7g...XXUDfygQQA
I'll disagree with the above because it's unlikely the user has enough practical knowledge to take on those challenges. Answer the question as it is asked, and ask for more information if needed. Only then, you can answer the question the correct way if required.

For DDoS, I'd recommend the DDoS Training Site ( https://www.ddosbootcamp.com/ ). It's probably the best place I've ever seen that teaches about DDoS not only at fundamental pop-culture understanding level, but on a technical/practical level as well as how businesses can try to mitigate damages caused by DDoS attacks. Covers all grounds to a relatively intermediate degree, I know that I learned a lot more than I thought I would the first time I tried it out, and this was back when I thought I had a good grasp on how DDoS attacks worked.

For MITM, you'll need to do a little more theoretical work. The landscape for MITM does actually change a bit every two years or so. For instance, yes, you can technically intercept packets on a network to read transmitted data. But what if that data is sent using SSL and is encrypted? Now you need to strip SSL from subsequent connections and force plaintext communication. So the industry created an extra header called HSTS (sometimes built into browser specs for large sites) that prevents a page from even loading, or from the server from responding if the request is not in plaintext. There are other ways around that and some of those methods are being slowly mitigated, and the subsequent solutions are becoming much more complex, even to the point where I'd consider it 'diminishing returns.'

Find a book on Wireshark as it's the most popular packet capture tool online.
Take a look at PacketTracer as well from Cisco to understand how network interfacing and topology works.
Read up on MITM tutorials/guides over the years and see the evolution yourself. (i.e. find an article from 2013, then 2015, then 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) and see how things have changed and which technologies are now being exploited. It's not always the raw HTTP packet that you want to compromise, you might need to create/spoof DNS records so that the router will route the request packet to your machine to take apart, and send the request finally to the actual destination, then follow the same path back. It takes time; it's not something you learn overnight, although you can get started very quickly overnight with DVWA as mentioned above, or just by setting up your own local HTTP server across two devices on your network and try to sniff packets going between them.

Ransomware typically falls under malware development. All you could learn viably for an enterprise setting is how to try and mitigate it by understanding what it is. The only way I ever really learned about ransomware was taking some apart, so if you don't have the skillset to do that, (you probably don't,) then don't bother.
thank you very much for the feedback. Immensely grateful
Ditto what popporet said. But also considering you're an intern and all, if you plan to find flaws in your own company. Be careful as it could land you into some legal trouble. If you're doing something in offensive security without permission. Even if your intentions are good.

There's other ways to the security industry than trying to impress your manager by hacking the company Wink Do some good work as an intern, I'm sure he'll be impressed. Get some experience in IT. Maybe try find your way into entry-level SOC. Or maybe study and get a certificate in penetration testing (OSCP etc). Or get yourself a stable foundation with a CS degree.

There's a lot of different paths to infosec. There's not really a right or wrong path, it depends on what kind of person you are IMO.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me hacking WPA2 wifi brandroot 5 3,512 03-01-2021, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Vector
  HEY FAMILY.. Help me out :-( ALPXHAX 7 4,338 12-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Last Post: FancyBear
  Need help with forensic analysis. unbuildpain 1 3,483 06-27-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: DeepLogic
  Rivers and lakes first aid!!!Ask for help!! LingYun 4 8,203 09-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Last Post: enmafia2