if ping packets reveal my identity then why would someone skilled do a ping of death?
And frankly, how does one cover up a ping of death if Tor doesn't prevent pings from leaking the hacker's real IP? I think that is pretty nuts how easy it should be to catch anyone who performs a ping of death.

And if its not possible to cover up a ping of death with Tor, can a VPN do it? If its undoable then is it considered bad practice?

Thanks by the way.
Well usually you'd do that kind of thing with a botnet or a computer you compromised. So no, skilled hackers don't do a ping of death from their main box. VPN wouldn't help (that I'm aware of). VPNs tunnel your traffic at layer 4 and ICMP is a layer 3 protocol. That's the same reason TOR won't work with ICMP.
(01-25-2021, 11:14 PM)DeepLogic Wrote: Well usually you'd do that kind of thing with a botnet or a computer you compromised. So no, skilled hackers don't do a ping of death from their main box. VPN wouldn't help (that I'm aware of). VPNs tunnel your traffic at layer 4 and ICMP is a layer 3 protocol. That's the same reason TOR won't work with ICMP.

This makes sense.

So its only for unethical hackers and not ethical hackers (even among ethical but illegal hackers). I mean because I don't see any scenario where using someone else's machine for an attack without their permission is justified if that person is gonna get the blame.
(01-26-2021, 03:14 AM)QMark Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 11:14 PM)DeepLogic Wrote: Well usually you'd do that kind of thing with a botnet or a computer you compromised. So no, skilled hackers don't do a ping of death from their main box. VPN wouldn't help (that I'm aware of). VPNs tunnel your traffic at layer 4 and ICMP is a layer 3 protocol. That's the same reason TOR won't work with ICMP.

This makes sense.

So its only for unethical hackers and not ethical hackers (even among ethical but illegal hackers). I mean because I don't see any scenario where using someone else's machine for an attack without their permission is justified if that person is gonna get the blame.

"Ping of death" is a tool. Tools aren't bad or good. How you use them is what matters. In general ethical hackers probably wouldn't. Sometimes hackers test for DoS issues, but that's not usually their primary goal. Not to mention modern systems aren't usually affected by ping o death. It's an old DoS.
(01-26-2021, 06:44 PM)DeepLogic Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 03:14 AM)QMark Wrote:

This makes sense.

"Ping of death" is a tool. Tools aren't bad or good. How you use them is what matters. In general ethical hackers probably wouldn't. Sometimes hackers test for DoS issues, but that's not usually their primary goal. Not to mention modern systems aren't usually affected by ping o death. It's an old DoS.

There are other ways to do it besides ICMP though. Ping of death is only one way.

Are any other equivalents easier to cover up or would it generally require a VPS?

It sounds like a very foolish thing to do unless your connection to your VPS is very secure.
Application-level DoS is usually easy to cover up. Stuff like slowloris and RUDY can be done over tor. Again, these are older attacks. You could also check exploit db for DoS vulnerabilities in the target's software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What methods/tools would you use to hack a forum (PHP)? choutan 3 5,505 09-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Where would I go to find Blackhat/DEFCON training courses? kms 1 9,687 08-17-2018, 03:43 AM
Last Post: xu1b1175490
  What VM Do You Use And Why mothered 14 31,640 12-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Last Post: XPRMX