Is it worth switching over to Gentoo Linux?
I've heard about this operating system for quite a while now. I'm quite a Debian-based OS fan myself. However, I'm looking for something a little different.
My main questions before committing to this is, is it worth the time learning?
I'd probably test this out in a VM before hand, but before I spend a lot of time learning, I want to hear other's opinions.
Thanks!
I wouldn't install it in a VM myself, the nice thing about gentoo is that every piece of it can be perfectly configured to suit your hardware. You will mostly just learn how to compile complex software and how to solve problems you encounter while compiling it. I can't tell you whether you consider that time well spent or not, it depends on what you want to learn. Please also keep in mind that gentoo requires decent hardware, at least if you don't want to wait ages until your kernel or browser are compiled.
It is hard to estimate how long it will take you to 'learn' it, if you follow the guides you can install it without too much of a hassle assuming you already have some linux knowledge, after that it will just be a normal OS with occasional problems when you install new software, which will always teach you something if you have to endurance to solve them.
Compiling everything from scratch does take time if you're not on good hardware, but the OS itself doesn't need good hardware. I think headless/idle was using 97MB RAM on my last install. Had a pretty old Intel low-power (laptop) CPU as well and recompiling kernel didn't take long (Firefox did, though.)

I wouldn't really put too much effort into it for the sake of 'learning a new distro' (go install an OS that's actually used IRL like RedHat/CentOS if you want something new) but it's definitely a cool experience compiling everything from scratch, using CFLAGS for everything, and really tweaking it as much as possible for optimization.

God forbid you use it to do any work, though.
Mom, cancel my appointments, my xorg.conf got fucked up again...
If you want to learn, linux from scratch will teach you everything and is very well documented. Arch linux is in between and the wiki is awesome too.
I never tried Gentoo.

Personally I always end up coming back to Debian. Easy to install and manage, not much bloat for an everyday use OS and lots of documentation online.

Anyways there is not much difference in an everyday use, after you configure everything it is a matter of using a couple of different commands.

(02-01-2021, 07:05 PM)poppopret Wrote: (go install an OS that's actually used IRL like RedHat/CentOS if you want something new)

For what I know CentOS was discontinued and now only CentOS Stream is available which is shit, the main idea of using centOS was reliability which rolling releases don't focus on.
I would avoid that from now on.
(02-01-2021, 07:49 PM)enmafia2 Wrote: For what I know CentOS was discontinued and now only CentOS Stream is available which is shit, the main idea of using centOS was reliability which rolling releases don't focus on.
I would avoid that from now on.

Yeah I can't be bothered to keep up with all that cloud stuff. I do know that RedHat created some kind of 'free version' of their license, although it's probably loaded with telemetry and other nasty stuff.

Either way, as it stands Gentoo is only really used for purity of the system if you just really want that experience having to compile everything without any shortcuts.
I will admit, though, once you get everything tweaked to work perfectly on your machine, I found it extremely stable, so it's not impossible to do work with it.
But it's not free unless your time is worthless, so if being productive is your end-goal, maybe using an OS that takes like a week to fully set-up and configure every aspect probably isn't for you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux Journey -- A beginner's resource for learning Linux Cypher 2 7,399 03-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Last Post: thunder011
  What OS or Linux distro is everyone using around here? Kontu 58 104,434 01-03-2021, 02:23 AM
Last Post: robinhoood
  System Calls under Linux Insider 0 3,320 12-20-2020, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Insider
  Folder sharing between Linux and Windows overfl0wN 5 15,753 04-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Last Post: MuddyBucket