How to reduce the risk of being tracked when creating a phishing site?
Say somebody created a phishing site, how can they reduce the risk of being tracked simply by using their IP? Assume the site is on the clear net. To my mind comes ngrok but I'm not sure it does that. So how? I am just technically curious. Wink
What are you actually trying to ask?
It really sounds like you have an incredibly vague idea of what those words actually mean.
Maybe you should have asked
Quote:Say somebody wanted to post on a public forum about illegal activities, how can they reduce the risk of being tracked simply by using their IP? Assume the site is on the clear net. So how? I am just technically curious. Wink
first. My point is, if you have to ask like that, you will probably get into big trouble if you do any of the things you consider, because there is a lot to know about OpSec and little mistakes can destroy your life.
That being said, the easiest way to host a website anonymously (which is what you want to do if I understand you correctly) is paying for an anonymous VPS. I won't link any because I strongly advise you to learn more before even considering doing anything like that and using your favorite search engine should do the job.
(02-20-2021, 11:18 AM)chios Wrote: Maybe you should have asked
Quote:Say somebody wanted to post on a public forum about illegal activities, how can they reduce the risk of being tracked simply by using their IP? Assume the site is on the clear net. So how? I am just technically curious. Wink
first. My point is, if you have to ask like that, you will probably get into big trouble if you do any of the things you consider, because there is a lot to know about OpSec and little mistakes can destroy your life.
That being said, the easiest way to host a website anonymously (which is what you want to do if I understand you correctly) is paying for an anonymous VPS. I won't link any because I strongly advise you to learn more before even considering doing anything like that and using your favorite search engine should do the job.

Which trouble? I'm asking to learn not to do that. That's why I asked not about somebody specifically but just in a abstract manner.

(02-20-2021, 02:01 AM)poppopret Wrote: What are you actually trying to ask?
It really sounds like you have an incredibly vague idea of what those words actually mean.

I'm new to this topics. By a phishing site I mean a site created to phish a password. By not being tracked I mean not being found by tracking by IP to the end owner of the site. Ngrok as far as I know tunnels localhost site to its domain I am not sure how though. I thought it could be relatively safe. Sorry for a noobish question, as I mentioned before I'm new here and to this topics. Also it's just out of curiosity I'm not going to really do that even for testing.

(02-20-2021, 11:18 AM)chios Wrote: Maybe you should have asked
And isn't this forum a public but an anonymous forum? I assume one can't be tracked by IP so simply using Tor.
(02-20-2021, 01:10 PM)tR0J_0Ut4LuV Wrote: Which trouble? I'm asking to learn not to do that. That's why I asked not about somebody specifically but just in a abstract manner.
I'm new to this topics. By a phishing site I mean a site created to phish a password. By not being tracked I mean not being found by tracking by IP to the end owner of the site. Ngrok as far as I know tunnels localhost site to its domain I am not sure how though. I thought it could be relatively safe. Sorry for a noobish question, as I mentioned before I'm new here and to this topics. Also it's just out of curiosity I'm not going to really do that even for testing.
And isn't this forum a public but an anonymous forum? I assume one can't be tracked by IP so simply using Tor.
In that case I'm sorry, I just thought the OP read like you actually wanted to do this but talked about it this way to avoid suspicion. This forum is of course not anonymous by nature, but using tor to connect to it should be good enough I guess.
To answer your question: I don't think there's an interesting technical aspect to it. As I already said, best bet is probably to use a server that can't be tied to you somehow. That could for example be a VPS paid for in an anonymous way or some servers that are used for malicious intent had some vulnerable service running and then got exploited to be used for phishing, c2, or similar jobs where you don't want your identity connected.
Thank you for your answer! Nice to meet you, man! Smile

(02-20-2021, 03:02 PM)chios Wrote: ...

This forum is of course not anonymous by nature, but using tor to connect to it should be good enough I guess.

I see but I believe using Tor and the forum's darknet version I can stay completely anonymous.
(02-20-2021, 03:55 PM)tR0J_0Ut4LuV Wrote: I see but I believe using Tor and the forum's darknet version I can stay completely anonymous.

And misconceptions like this is how you end up in jail when you break the law. 

Tor has weaknesses. A sufficiently motivated actor, with sufficient resources, could likely track you down. And thats just based on IP address/connection. Someones username, writing style and verbiage, and profile information, and even the topics  they discuss, could  be used to obtain information about you and possibly track you.
(02-20-2021, 06:23 PM)MuddyBucket Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 03:55 PM)tR0J_0Ut4LuV Wrote: I see but I believe using Tor and the forum's darknet version I can stay completely anonymous.

And misconceptions like this is how you end up in jail when you break the law. 

Tor has weaknesses. A sufficiently motivated actor, with sufficient resources, could likely track you down. And thats just based on IP address/connection. Someones username, writing style and verbiage, and profile information, and even the topics  they discuss, could  be used to obtain information about you and possibly track you.

Woah, interesting! Anyway I'm not going to break the law and I guess Tor is still great for general privacy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mail server, domain, phishing, mass mailing Smoky 6 4,049 08-15-2021, 03:51 PM
Last Post: smoky1
  Best approach for a site with no SSL Majin-Buu 7 11,412 01-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: 9ys
  McAfee Institute Partial Site Rip. [45GB][Mega] Hellsing 0 6,325 03-30-2019, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Hellsing
  Creating an Anti-trolling task force Daxelius 3 9,902 11-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: enmafia2