Screwed Beyond Repair?
I think I screwed up. I think I screwed up so much that the root user doesn’t even have permissions anymore!
How I just mess things up...
I honestly don’t really know what I did. I changed permissions for certain directories and files, as said above. However, I also remember deleting a couple of things through deborphan. Although I doubt that alone could cause such a mess. I noticed some security updates that were needed for my Debian system, and I applied them, thus rebooting the operating system.
Here are some things I noticed when I rebooted in:
1. My webserver wasn’t loading
2. Nobody had any permissions and special privileges. Not even root.
3. There were ZERO files I could open. Extra note is that, when I tried to open them, they gave me a ‘No applications found for “shared library” files’ error.
Then I powered Debian off and tried to get back in. It said that just about EVERYTHING failed to start. That includes the graphical interface. I went into rescue mode, and while it was loading, there appeared to be some errors like:
“Failed to start: Create Volatile Files and Directories”
“Times out waiting for device: /dev/di id/38f50392-87ad-4cc1(Did not capture beyond this point)
“Dependency failed for: /dev/disk/by-uuid/38f50392-87ad-4cc1(Did not capture beyond this point)
“Dependency failed for: Swap”
After trying to run journalctl -xb, I got:
“Failed to execute ‘pager’, using next fallback pager: Permission denied”
“Failed to execute ‘less’, using next fallback pager: Permission denied”
“Failed to execute ‘more’, using next fallback pager: Permission denied”

I REALLY need help. If anybody is familiar with these situations or errors, has any advice, or knows how to help with this sticky situation, it would be VERY much appreciated.
Please do write your threads in a font which is readable. This font-size is way too small.

But anyway. What kind of server is this? VPS? Dedicated Server? Is it a device you have physical access to?
(05-09-2021, 08:30 PM)Insider Wrote:
Please do write your threads in a font which is readable. This font-size is way too small.

But anyway. What kind of server is this? VPS? Dedicated Server? Is it a device you have physical access to?

Sorry. It’s a bit difficult to adjust the font for some reason on my device. But never mind. I got so tired that I went ahead and did an entire reinstallation. Thanks for replying.
Code:
# cd /

Code:
# cd var/log/

Code:
# ls

Do you see a file called boot.log?
If yes open it.
Code:
# cat boot.log

Do you see in red color one or more [ FAIL ]?