Div Tag
Hey. I need a bit of help. If there's user input on my website, then how do I make sure that a <div> or </div> tag doesn't ruin my website? I don't use JavaScript and I use PHP. It'd be very useful if you could give advice with ModSecurity WAF. Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.
(05-27-2021, 12:17 AM)IngloRex Wrote: Hey. I need a bit of help. If there's user input on my website, then how do I make sure that a <div> or </div> tag doesn't ruin my website? I don't use JavaScript and I use PHP. It'd be very useful if you could give advice with ModSecurity WAF. Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.

What do you mean by ruin? A div is a container, like a box to put elements in. It doesn't do anything else.
Perhaps you mean it ruins the style of the page? You would be talking about CSS then.
Use HTML entities to make sure raw HTML-input doesn't screw up the site.
Read more: https://happycoding.io/tutorials/java-se...user-input

So in other words: Sanitize your user inputs to make it safe and look good. Escape html characters. There's plenty of articles on this.
Perhaps you are referring to security. In that case, as Insider said above, sanitize the inputs. HTML tags, but also potentially harmful characters like % (used to encode data automatically), / and \ (yes, escape the escape bars), =, *, etc. Anyway, anything that can be inferred from the data processing logic. And remember to do this cleanup on the server side, not the client.