What got you into hacking?
come gather around our campfire
[Image: E4jXsT4.png]
so how did you get introduced into hacking?

I'll start of by how I got introduced into hacking... 

back in early 2012 I started using the tools LOIC and HOIC so I'm not really setting the bar very high on starting. however I didn't start alone, me along with a few friends. this was the beginning of my reign of terror (not). I always liked being a step ahead of my friends, and after maybe a week I had learned quite a few cmd commands usefull for dosing, although not efficient at all it sparked something in me wanting to learn. there was a dead period for about 2 years until 2014 until I found, you guessed it, Hacksociety! a place where I felt at home, I'm not to knowlagable as I'd like to be but I'm working on it.
spending hours just playing with a cmd prompt back in the days of win95 Big Grin but what really got me into "hacking" and such was hanging with a group called "0x33" in the early alpha/beta days of SRO Smile
Hmmm well I would have to say it all started from when I was young. Always had an interest in computers. When I was 8 or 9 I figured out how to abuse the password hint to figure out my mother's password and then from there connected to the internet, I hadn't been on it before but I was on it.

Fast forward a few years when I was 12 I started becoming interested in making video games and modifying the current ones I had. If I had a chance to look at the developer options or see debug screens I would do everything I could to do so. At 13 I learned about myspace and this thing called Phishing. I learned some copy and paste PHP and got a free host and started phishing friends. This resulted in me becoming interested in programming and "hacking" lucky enough for me I had a bigger interest in programming and learning WHY exploits worked instead of just trying to use milw0rm on everything like a skid.

From there I wrote a lot of Perl and PHP scripts and by the time I was 18 I was out of high school and working as a Software Dev exploiting things for fun and profit.
I got into hacking for quite a few reasons. The 2 main ones being it was fun to me, and the 2nd being that the hacking community always seemed to be smarter than the general population.
(01-13-2016, 08:20 PM)Mr.Masked Wrote: I know that I will need to be able to make a living some day so instead of sitting at an office chair all day I want to sit at my house.

I did it for the money... Bitches
if you're doing it for the money, please don't even bother. although it is profitable, you're at huge risk by authorities if you choose to go the blackhat way. what one should be doing it for is the knowledge, and I'm not alone on this. what you can learn from hacking and coding is infinite and only limited by yourself. I'll be honnest, if you're in it for the money I can see why all of your posts are spam and lacking research.

(01-13-2016, 06:14 PM)Cryptography Wrote: I got into hacking for quite a few reasons. The 2 main ones being it was fun to me, and the 2nd being that the hacking community always seemed to be smarter than the general population.
I agree on both points! hacking is a lot of fun, and so is learning to hack. hacking communities are mostly about sharingknowledge, thus passing on what you know. also communities like greysec which is not too big yet not too small are always a great pleasure to be in because the community itself isn't toxic

(01-13-2016, 09:38 AM)NO-OP Wrote: Hmmm well I would have to say it all started from when I was young.  Always had an interest in computers.  When I was 8 or 9 I figured out how to abuse the password hint to figure out my mother's password and then from there connected to the internet, I hadn't been on it before but I was on it.

Fast forward a few years when I was 12 I started becoming interested in making video games and modifying the current ones I had.  If I had a chance to look at the developer options or see debug screens I would do everything I could to do so.  At 13 I learned about myspace and this thing called Phishing.  I learned some copy and paste PHP and got a free host and started phishing friends.  This resulted in me becoming interested in programming and "hacking" lucky enough for me I had a bigger interest in programming and learning WHY exploits worked instead of just trying to use milw0rm on everything like a skid.

From there I wrote a lot of Perl and PHP scripts and by the time I was 18 I was out of high school and working as a Software Dev exploiting things for fun and profit.
interesting read! when I first started with computers at that age all I did was play worms haha. your coding and hacking sure has done you good Smile
The campfire was a nice touch. I got into it because it's fun. Do I need any other reason?
My father owns an IT company so i was exposed to general computer stuff from a young age. I was never much interested in it however, until about a year or so ago. An online friend of mine got me interested in everything hacking related, the more i found out about all the possibilities the more interesting it became. Subsequently i decided to teach myself python since i noticed a lot of security oriented programs/scripts were written in python. I've become recently versed in python but i know there's always more to learn. Especially in the field of INFOSEC, technologies and techniques are constantly evolving which is a part of the fun for me. I have a passion for learning in general besides, skills in hacking and coding are very useful in my opinion.
On my way to learn computer. I saw hacker technology. But now I don't know how to start. I read a lot of articles. What they said was not the point, which I couldn't stand. Makes me crazy about this technology. I dream of learning. I look for it every day. I'm learning. But there was no increase
there was a need to escape reality at that time n hacking became the door to a whole new world where i could roam freely Smile
I don't remember exactly. Probably started because I was on a lot of what was known then as warez (hacked/cracked software) sites. Used a lot of cracked software back then. Year was about 1996-1997. Had always had an innate interest in computing. Learned my first programming language I think in 1996. By 1997 or 1998 I was on hacking BBS's/Forums like hackers.com and hack3rs.com and others.

The rest is history. Been in and out of the scene ever since. It's more of a hobby for me though. I do it for the knowledge and challenge. I have no interest in fame or money so never really went crazy getting into it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What methods/tools would you use to hack a forum (PHP)? choutan 3 3,596 09-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Insider
  hacking discord jak3p 3 4,686 08-26-2021, 01:20 AM
Last Post: printers
  [Links] Resources - Wargames and Hacking Challenges Insider 17 54,867 07-20-2021, 05:57 PM
  what is the news on hacking? alleneo 5 7,428 07-14-2021, 10:10 PM