Finally Upgraded to Debian
I have been using the same laptop for the last few years and when I got it, it had Ubuntu installed and had great driver support. I finally made the big jump to Debian and running it how I should have a long time ago.

Outside of appearance changes I have installed the grSecurity Kernel, set Home and Var to be on a Luks Encrypted partition, and from now on any complex dependent tools (like pen-testing, SDR, old software, etc) will be installed using Docker containers.

Once I clear up my storage terabyte drive I will be install ZFS ontop of everything. I've wanted to "future proof" and just make my system more enjoyable for a long time but it all involved getting off of Ubuntu and I just kept digging my dependency hole for it deeper and deeper, but now I'm free.

I want to use this as a chance to say if you have been waiting to make your system better by change OSes or making major changes, do it.

[Image: zQg7zBM.png]
Debian is a really solid choice. I had it while ago. I switched to Arch because... unknown reasons and might not come back.

I didn't know about grSecurity Kernel. Sounds like a good addition if you need extra security layer.

How long did it take to configure your Debian?
(01-15-2016, 05:12 PM)sirual Wrote: Debian is a really solid choice. I had it while ago. I switched to Arch because... unknown reasons and might not come back.

I didn't know about grSecurity Kernel. Sounds like a good addition if you need extra security layer.

How long did it take to configure your Debian?

To get Gnome how I want it and all the security stuff was a few hours wasn't anything too bad. I've installed a lot of OSes haha

But GRSecurity is amazing and you should consider installing it on your distro (If supported)
Good and stable choice. I'm using debian as well, I've used it for a few years. It's the only distro which I really stayed with. Before that I was constanly changing distros for different reasons.
I'm loving Arch for my desktop, at most for the AUR and the rolling-release.
But for work or as a server - where the system have to be up and running - I use Debian too, sometimes some ubuntu stuff like linux mint.
I've dosen't try much distros, only ubuntu, linux mint, debian and arch.
One time Fedoara in a VM, but that distro didn't convinced me at all.
(01-17-2016, 12:06 PM)reqq456 Wrote: I'm loving Arch for my desktop, at most for the AUR and the rolling-release.
But for work or as a server - where the system have to be up and running - I use Debian too, sometimes some ubuntu stuff like linux mint.
I've dosen't try much distros, only ubuntu, linux mint, debian and arch.
One time Fedoara in a VM, but that distro didn't convinced me at all.

Over my experience with Linux I've installed Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch, Gentoo, Slack, Fedora, DSM, ElementaryOS/ChromeOS, and just some random other stuff I can't remember. For DE's I've used XFCE, KDE, Gnome, Unity, Cinnamon, and pure CLI.

But over all of that my favorite has to be Debian with Gnome as the DE. I like to keep things simple and stable and of course well maintained.
I wouldn't stick with Debian anymore after hearing about it being backdoored.
(08-09-2017, 01:28 PM)Kontu Wrote: I wouldn't stick with Debian anymore after hearing about it being backdoored.

Where did you hear this? First time I heat about it. To me it seems very unlikely since Debian is an open project with volunteers and such, compared to for example Microsoft Windows.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Help] "BootMGR is missing" after Debian 9 Install system32 4 6,287 07-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Last Post: system32
  [Tutorial] How To: Install Debian 9 (Stretch) system32 0 4,840 07-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Last Post: system32
  Basic Security Practises [Harden Debian 8.0] Insider 3 7,638 02-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: k1tsune
  (Debian) The Paranoid #! Security Guide Insider 2 13,105 07-25-2017, 04:51 AM
Last Post: hotmagnet